World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Smutdog
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used or got a opinion on UK Hooks X-Tension braid or Blue Marlin High Performance braid, they both seem a bargain at under £15 for 200m............ AJ

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use both types from UK hooks. The X-tension I've had on a couple of reels for years now - just keep cutting back at the business end to expose fresher braid for knotting to leaders. The Blue Marlin has snapped off casting light lures a couple of times from one reel I have it on - don't know why - I've set the drag on another reel and it takes 2/3rds breaking stain, as it should.

However you might like to consider this:

http://www.affordablefishing.com/products.asp?cat=196

If I need to replace the line at some time (probably years away!), I might prefer it

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have nothing but good words to say about PowerPro, and at that price it's a steal.

Was looking to get another 1500 yard reel of the 30lb, and I know where I'm going to get it from now.

Many thanks for posting up that link. :clap3:

·
Smutdog
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That not quite the point of my thread............... i know powerpro is good and have it on my plugging reel. Back to UK Hooks braid please AJ

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, like I said - I've had 50lb X-tension braid on a boat reel for about 5 years now - never had a problem. Likewise, I have 20 and 30lb on two spinning reels for almost as long.

The problem I had with the Blue Marlin was that I have it on a casting multiplier, which doubles as a light boat rod and a lure casting rod. Three times now I've lost a small casting pirk 'cos of a snap-off. I don't know whether this a problem of the reel or what - maybe this braid has poor abrasion resistance. I put the same braid (37lb) on an Avet SX reel and set the drag with a 22 lb weight on the end of the line, so why it snaps off with a 10g lure, I don't know.......In any event, I see no advantage over the X-tension braid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts