World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy wither the F1 titanium line or the new power plus both from ultima. but there is always a problem. i cant find a shop that sells it...any help...online shops please

also which line is better u recon???
james

·
Registered
808 Posts
jims tackle in redruth is about the cheapest in the uk for ultima line, just type "jims tackle" into google and it should be near the top. alternativley try spotty dog they do 3 spools for £25.

I have gone off the F1 due to the black colour which is no good for night fishing and also after a few unexplained failures. I have recently switched to sakuma nite crystal after hearing some good reviews and have got to say it is better than my 2nd favourite which is penn oranger super surf. Sorry could'nt comment on power plus as I have not tried it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Dont bother with the F1, overpriced CACK, altho you will get people singing its praise on here ,plenty will agree with me. Go for Daiwa Tourny, Sufix or Sakuma instead!!.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The sakuma nite crystal is very, very similar to the daiwa tournament. It is exactly the same colour and has the same "feel" to it. The main difference being that it is thinner for the stated breaking strain i.e sakuma 0.33mm is 16lb but the daiwa 0.35mm is only 15lb, this makes a big difference when fishing at long range in a strong tide. It is also a lot cheaper than Daiwa tournament too !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had a lot of trouble sorting out 15 and 20lb lines that gave anything like the correct breaking strain last year - loads went in the bin including those mentioned. Only sarfix tritanium came up to scratch. Penn super surf was good too but it's very very tricky to knot. It slips easily.
I also bought some penn senator super tough boat in 30lbs. It knotted easily and broke at 45lbs. Next time I buy I will try that in 15 and 20. Veals do it.

John

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you tried sufix supreme? never had any problems with that, as far as F1 being overrated cack, I dont think so, ultima lines are fantastic, currently using the ultima tournament gold, cracking line, also ultima distance for clean beach work, nice and "soft"

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Most people would get the shock of there lives if they tested their lines with a set of weighing scales. I always do and bin it if it isn't up to spec.

John

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Most people would get the shock of there lives if they tested their lines with a set of weighing scales. I always do and bin it if it isn't up to spec.

John

just been doing this lately,tried it on ultima seastrike and lidls £1 a spool stuff,both at different breaking strains.they both broke below the stated breaking strain,but the lidls stuff was thinner for the same breaking strain and more wear resistant:g:
seriously thinking of trying sufix tritanium:)

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
what's the big deal about the colour of a line ? that's what tip tape and headlights was invented for !!

i use F1 and have never yet had a prob with it, yeah it's a bit expensive if you buy rolls from a real shop with real overheads, but then i can leave it on for three months with no failures, eventually only changing it cos it's scuffed too bad,

i did change over to a 12 or 14lb someoneorother 'hypercast' nice thin line etc, but it's always out of stock due to it's popularity ! it casts great etc etc. not had a chance to test long term though, i couldn't buy any just before going to IOW, so went back to F1. can't really fault it.

only other line i reckon is the dogs, and it's certainly reflected in the price, is the grauvel Teclon line, 40lb line, .40 diam, seriously good, casts a long way and as a strong as death ! at £13 for 300m it aint nasty !!

·
Registered
866 Posts
i am looking to buy wither the F1 titanium line or the new power plus both from ultima. but there is always a problem. i cant find a shop that sells it...any help...online shops please

james
crap line uesed it 3 times load off crap when you put your finger on to slow the reel down it burn and the line go white and when you pull on it hard it it cracks with small white lines on it pull it it breakes use sakuam line on troule at all

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've got a bee in me bonnet about the subject. There is an awful lot of junk being sold even at high prices. I always trusted maxima chameleon but don't any more having bought 600mtrs of 30lb that broke just over 20. From past experience I would expect their 30 to break at something over that. It's a pity about penn supersurf. It's reasonably cheap but slips with 4 turn grinner/uni knot and breaks at the knot with 6 turns. It's too soft. Oddly 15lb Force seems ok but I'm not sure that this can be relied on. It's dirt cheap and worth a try. I mostly use 20lb straight through and the sarfix was the only line I could find out of many that actually gave it. Where I need a shock leader I'm switching to 15lb braid and an 80lb braid shock leader mainly out of curiosity. I'm hoping braid through out will get round the twist problems.
I would advise everybody to buy a set of 70lb or so tube scales and test with a well wetted surgeons loop in each end. If people stop buying the junk they will stop selling it. Veals do a suitable one for under a tenner. This also allows people to work on their knots - another critical bit. At least I do know that mine are ok and when tested they don't break at the knot.

John

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
some interesting thoughts, John,

Talen, my F1 is rated at 18lb usually, now i've put my full weight into pulling it from snags, and it's never gone in the main line, occasionally i'll lose the leader at the knot, but never the main line, yes it burns yer thumb, but only on the first chuck and only if you've not wet your line first, when i set up, i alwasy put a plain lead on, usually i'll take some water and pour it over the spool (bottled or salt, don't matter), it'll sink thru into the spool, then first cast hit it hard, stop it when it hits the water, not before, the over-run will easily unravel, lay the line down in the water to wet, and retreive it,

then hit it as hard as you possibly can, again wet the line, you'll not cast this far with a baited rig, so you know your line will stay wet, no more thumb burn.

i can catagorically say, the only time i burn my thumb is when i've not wet the line before my first baited cast, and not checked the mags (usually on zero) when hitting a big bait, it'll invariably begin to fluff as it drops, so i slap me thumb on it to slow it.......... burn !

the same happens with every line i've ever used, just wet the line, or better still, get used to not stopping the spool until the lead hits, at night this obviously means having a bit of faith, and stoping it as soon as it begins to fluff.

simple !!

i have noticed the differences in colour, almost as though the line has stretched in certain places, but it never simply breaks, not on the retrieve, and only occasionally on a birdy / crack-off. prior to renewing my line with hypercast back in march, i'd had the same f1 titanium and black on my mag elites, for over 4 months (anyone that knows how much i fish will tell you that's a lot of hours !!)

with the grauvell Teclon 40lb line recently, i had my full weight leaning into the rod (tip behind me, rod horizontal) trying to pull out of a snag, the line, and leader, all came back fine, along with the dirty great oyster thing that i'd sunk my 4/0 into ! certainly can't fault that. must've been over 100lb pulling on it all with me leaning at 45 deg's, the rod/line was holding me up !

each to their own i guess !

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I liek Sakuma Nite Crystal casts well and is relatively cheap. Many on here will back me in saying that its just about the best beach casting line there is out there.

·
Registered
808 Posts
what's the big deal about the colour of a line ? that's what tip tape and headlights was invented for !!

QUOTE]

I just dont like black F1 for night fishing !!

Even with my headlight shining directly at it I just cannot see it. I often NEED to see where my line is for landing fish, or when fishing 2 rods to make sure that they are not crossed over.

I now use sakuma nite crystal on one rod and super surf orange on the other both in 0.33mm for my beach fishing. I find that 2 different colour lines helps, especially at places like the back eddy on spurn point where the current constantly moves your 2 lines in and around each other constantly.

I have never had a problem knotting the penn stuff, I do use a bimini twist though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sakuma Nite Crystal is great line, it also comes in a variety of colours. I use it in yellow, red and clear. Many people rate it highly and i have yet to meet someone who says its cack, unlike Ultima F1.

F

·
0 Posts
I personally like my Red Ice and Black Ice. Does well enough for me over the rough ground i fish :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

james
if you still want some ultima line then give me a PM, the shop i work at stocks ultima, i'll see if i can do you a deal. :g:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts