World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which do you guys prefer ,mag 2 or 5500 for lighter leads eg 125 g.i am on the hunt for one of the above mentioned but cant make up my mind and have no experiance of either

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
which do you guys prefer ,mag 2 or 5500 for lighter leads eg 125 g.i am on the hunt for one of the above mentioned but cant make up my mind and have no experiance of either
I'd say that the 5500 is more popular, but the ultra mag has a bit of a cult following.

The best thing to do is have a feel of both and see which one you like the look of. Confidence is everything and you'll know which one you want when you have a chuck on it. A good bit of advice i was given was to buy reels off the big hitters, a reel that has already done the numbers - then you have no excuse and can't blame your kit!

There's always plenty of 2nd hand 55's and ultra mags for sale

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks steve ,i have my eye on an ultra mag [like the retro look] its going for 70 notes and is ready to cast is this a good price ,

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Cough cough, I know a man, good looking man with 2 converted mag2's for sale:victory:

Could do a nice deal:group:

Jim

·
Registered
864 Posts
thanks steve ,i have my eye on an ultra mag [like the retro look] its going for 70 notes and is ready to cast is this a good price ,
trouble with ultra mags mate is the main gearing spindle post is rivetted to the cage and if loose can give troubles. the cages aint available any more. i've had both um2 and 5500 and the 55's are more reliable with available parts. the um 2's also had 3mm spindles which were prone to flex, even bending, the fix was to fit a um3 4mm spindle cut to length and change the pinion , but these pinions now as far as i know aint available.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Yes mate, that's a decent price. If you try it and don't like it you can sell it on and you won't lose money

Might be worth talking to jimmyc ^

·
Specimen Hunter
3,291 Posts
I use the ultramags and xlt's, brilliant little reels, sound a bit noisy at times though lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think that the ultramagXLII is more versatile than a 5500 mainly in that you can swap over loaded spools easily whereas with the 5500 type reels you have to remove line to get the spools out

·
Registered
144 Posts
hi mate i will be at surfcast on sunday with one to sell with the new chrome qtc cage and the reel is the pro mag which is the new gunmetal grey one and a wozza centre mag conversion
:whistling:whistling

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think that the ultramagXLII is more versatile than a 5500 mainly in that you can swap over loaded spools easily whereas with the 5500 type reels you have to remove line to get the spools out
surely thats not a problem 4 u tho pete, just undrfill the spool, u dont need that amount of line on anyway :bleh::bleh::bleh::yeah::yeah::yeah:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
personally -

if you can get one; the original ultramag - not XL or XLT - is a heck of a reel - it doesn't have the quick release function true.... but it is (IMHO) more solid than the ones with a bayonet

and...... they can come with the original french self centering bearings - ie with a curved profile outer .... these are very very smooth and fast as flick

cheers

al

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well thanks lads for all the advice ,in the end i got one of each to see for myself witch was better .excuse the pun but do i need to hump the spool on both with .28 or is there enough room on them:victory::victory:
thanks again chaps

simon

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
flat filling a um2 spool i get 340m =370yd on it so if dont need 300yds just flat fill it.
as humpping can get you in the crap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dave we were talking today about how much a mag 1 would hold of .26, had mine humped with line and i reckoned it would be around the 270 yrds mark, have you had a line counter on one of these mag 1's?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Cough cough, I know a man, good looking man with 2 converted mag2's for sale:victory:

Could do a nice deal:group:

Jim
Jim i assume you were hinting at the good looking person being yourself????

Sorry to disappoint you there jim but when you have a snoz the size of concorde then me thinks you have run out of luck pal!!! LoL

Wilson Flyer, it was good speaking to you at Surfcast Wales earlier today, will catch you there again soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts