World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was just wondering why if so many ultra mags are used for tournament casting why are they not used for shore fishing (or at least I have never seen one)?
Is it because they are too weak or not resistant enough to sea water? :g:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
the alloy cage does not stand up to salt water very well but they are as strong as a 5500 or 6500 if the cage was chromed the would make a very good bass firhing reelbut they have a slow gear set in them.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I know of a few anglers who have used them for extreme range clean beach fishing, although as you have said they are predominantly a tournament casting reel. If you are interested there are a few for sale on eBay, recently there was one which had had CNC bars fitted and frame although it sold for £150.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy :clap3:
Was just wondering as I see them go quite cheaply on ebay (unmodded). I think I will stick with my Mag elites. :giveup:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I Have loads of them mag 1 2 and 3 but i would not take them near salt water..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Midas. Returned your PM. My 6600w arrived from the States today. Apart from the lettering being rubbed off through use, the reel appears in pretty good nick. You fancy fully converting it for me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been fishing with my Ultra Mag II for 25 years, it has only minor salt corrosion. My Mag 3 spent 'several' years in a converted state but has recently been returned to 'level wind' condition. The level wind system on those early reels was a brilliant innovation causing little or no loss of casting distance when used as a fishing reel. The tournies took off the l/w and said the reel casts much better without it, the rest is history, sadly, the system wasn't used for too long. If anyone is looking for a 'level wind' that will cast a bait then look no further. The cost of these reels has tripled, even for preloved, it was a while ago but I'm sure I wouldn't have paid more than about £30 each for mine. There are still spares out there, I'm sure you all know where to look for them......:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts