World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am coming over from Newcastle for a week in the lakes for the August bank holiday week (It's actually 1st september to the 5th) and we are staying just outside of Ulverston. I've done a little bit of searching and have seen there is a tackle shop that sells bait in the town, Rods and Sods. First can I check this shop is still open?

Second, I have been reading up on where to try and have a fish. I read about a place called Kingfisher which is reasonably close. I'm after a bass really but anything will do. Any tips for bait, rigs, tide and conditions to look out for? Also is there anywhere I can find a tide table for this area? Is their anywhere to lure fish around here?

Will only probably get one evening of fishing as will be with our lass so want to make the most of it. Will possibly be taking along a complete novice so if possible some clean-ish ground would be good.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
yes mate Rods n Sods is still open , Alan the proprieter will have a tide table book and be able to direct you to the local beaches :thumbs:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. What sort of ground is it around there?

I need to know if I'll be ok with my light 10' Bass rod or will I need my 14' beach caster to deal with distance casting and rough ground. I would have thought it's fishing close in over sandy ground but if someone could say for definate it will help keeping the amount of gear I chuck in the car down.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
there's not much rough ground in ulverston(in fact i dont think there's any) so your bass rod should be fine if your thinkin of fishing priory point but u may need a heavier weight to hold in the tide

·
Team Cumbria Captain
749 Posts
its all clean an snag free compared to what you might be used to lol, canal foot can get dubious lol, theres a snaggy bit just to the left of the pier an theres posts that are submerged in front of the steps an to the right of the bench, apart from that its fine
slag banks would be your best bet for easy fishing an its the cleanest no rocks or owt just shingle down to sand.
you can park in the car park you can fish there or go to your right wheres there a clump of trees and a bit of a point an thats priory point
or theres kingfisher this is relatively clean apart from the last 10ft where theres a few rocks about
for your sat nav canal foot = canal foot LA12 9EL
slag banks = brick kiln road
kingfisher = cooper lane
theres a pub called the bay horse at canal foot too :drunk:
tide times are
1st 11:00 7.4m 23:30 8.0m
2nd 11:44 7.9 23:54 8.5
3rd 12:15 8.3 00:30 8.8
4th 12:46 8.6 01:00 9.0
5th 13:15 8.8 01:30 9.2
these tides are roughly right for ulverston give or take a couple of mins matey
you get about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 up (this gives the water time to steady down after the bore) an whatever you like down,the bore comes through about 2hrs before high usually so dont be on the sands when it does. but its worth goin to watch
if you have a ride round the marks at low for a gander matey thats best bet itll only take about 30 mins to get round em all an finish at the bay horse to placate the misses lol

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Awesome avatar stubber!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought I would say thanks for the advice. Had a couple of hours down Slag Banks in rubbish weather. The people I took down had a fun time learning the basics and I got a decent-ish flounder of 37 cms, at a guess about a pound and a half.

that was the only fishing done over the few days I was there, horrible weather, but the cottage we had was great and the fridge was full of beer so not a bad few days.

Cheers again for the info.

·
Team Cumbria Captain
749 Posts
now look here that terrible weather is known as cumbrian sunshine :laugh::crazy:
glad you enjoyed it tho, just a pity it was a crap week for it matey :cold:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts