World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't know, need to catch one first. Seriously, a disgorger will do the trick, not too costly.

Fred

·
Registered
568 Posts
Gemini disgorger is one of my favourite toys. (any similar t-bar will do the job). I think my first one came free with a magazine (the only useful free gift ever). I have a nasty habit of losing them :( Think I am on my 3rd one now - I have covered it in reflective tape in an attempt to reduce the chances of losing it...

There's a knack to using it, but once you have it figured out then it suddenly becomes a doddle. I recall the days before I had my gemini - sessions of 20+ dogfish left hands in a right mess.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Buy a pair of locking forceps. They're great and you can lock them onto a lapel or pocket flap (so's you don't lose them.) They're long enough to use on a deep hooked fish as long as it's not beyond the mouth when it is MUCH BETTER TO CUT THE SNOOD and return the fish pronto, if not sooner!

Try Circle hooks if the problem is persisting - they're supposed to hook fish in the scissors (they do sometimes!)

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi jakeb,
as the fellas said the t disgorger is great for doggies and whiting on a deep hooked fish i have been using them with great sucess over the years heres a link so you can see what they lok like m8 Valley Fishing Products

Imagine holding the disgorger in your right hand. The ring is already located over the line as near to the hook as possible. Preferably on the hook shank. Now imagine you are holding the snood in your left hand. Now imagine pulling the disgorger to the right, and the snood to the left. There will come a point when the snood will become horizontal. Now raise your right hand, and the disgorger, whilst lowering your left hand keeping the snood taught. There will come a point when the ring on the disgorger will locate itself in the bend of the hook. The pulling down of the left hand, and snood, will make the hook rotate or pivot on the ring of the disgorger. So instead of the hook barb pointing out of the fishes mouth, it will now point into the mouth. The weight of the fish will make it fall off of the hook. HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT M8......clive.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i find using small pointed pliers the best for gettin the hook out, i find it the easiest to use but others might think different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts