World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to choose a good fixed spool for beach fishing ,got to cover most things ,fish north and south coast of devon plus somerset and the channel,struggling a bit because they all look a bit rubbish ,the guy in the angling shop said he always used shimano aerlex xsa 8000 and found them more than capable ,is it worth spending any more than the 70 pound they would cost me ?he could have sold me anything up to a 100 so ill give him that

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Nope.
If you wash your reel after every trip and I mean straight after, not the next afternoon or week. Then Shimano or Daiwa will see you fine.
I use a Shimano baitrunner 8000size on one rod. A Daiwa emcast 5500 on one and a Shimano beastmaster 7000 on another.
If you are trying to drop 10oz weights off a boat and wind them straight off a reel then you will shred even expensive FS reels.
So long as you use the rod and pump and wind then the FS will be great and it makes casting a doddle too.

Reactions: jackjock

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Meant to add, buy reels second hand that the carp lads used can often be a great source of quality reels. They call them bigpit reels and they are great for sea fishing.

G

·
ha this is where i get shot to bits!
Don't think on a cast a fixed spool does anything more than act as a bobbin. Once you've released your lead and bait, the tension of which is taken by your finger or a casting aide the reel does very little other than let line off. So there fore yes they are fine. As said it's on the retrieve care needs to be taken to use rod and reel.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Use a tapered shock leader, I use varivas ones and rovex ones but cut the first foot of the narrow end off the rovexs ones first.
There is no pressure at all on a FS reel when casting which is one of the reasons braid works so well on them. No tension to bed in braid beneath itself and birdsnests are very rare so long as you don't overfill the spool.

·
Banned
2,348 Posts
trying to choose a good fixed spool for beach fishing ,got to cover most things ,fish north and south coast of devon plus somerset and the channel,struggling a bit because they all look a bit rubbish ,the guy in the angling shop said he always used shimano aerlex xsa 8000 and found them more than capable ,is it worth spending any more than the 70 pound they would cost me ?he could have sold me anything up to a 100 so ill give him that
Get an Ultegra 10000 or 14000 XSC or XTC. Bit bigger and better quality than the Aerlex and comes with a spare spool. They are being sold off around 100 quid now as the XSD / XTD model is out and getting all the attention from the Carp brigade.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Reels above but daiwa emblems far better than emcasts emcasts known to strip inside&handles Chinese made.
5.55.6000 emblems £60 is
Aerlex any of them work good can upgrade nylon bearings inside on handle shaft cheap enough more sturdy then.beast master is good Aerlex but with plastic spool you can pick up speedcast/it's ultra one spool less bearings but on last body B which is more sturdy than then C versions on ultegras as xs/tc''s prone to flex but still OK. Speedcast comes in 8000 or 14000 8 is similar body to Aerlex type 14 is ultegra larger body 14000 is largest cap all same size spool in ultegras over 5500 just just insides of spool is bigger/smaller for line cap where number comes from speedcast don't come with arbors you can buy to save loading extra Base line but 8000 is £80 14000£ 90 odd.
Best value is the Ci4 ultegra xsb 14000 £170 lighter stiffer body more/better bearings 2 spare spools and arbors also they say higher quality gear material used???.
For less bucks check flea bay as carp campers shed there gear quicker than a crab sheds it's shell in a heatwave! Pickup "last week's" reel for good price 3 whichwood ones on there atmo £20 each boxed

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know their reels will drag in massive fish but are they designed to cast out large baits on 13 ft plus beach casters ?

A decent reel, like those mentioned will do the job. I sometimes fish with a big FS reel with braid for rough ground cod, chucking 6oz + big fishy baits no probs.

Before casting I make sure the spool is sitting close to the reel rather than extended on the spindle, maybe an old fishers tale but this way there's no chance of putting too much stress on the reel and bending the spindle.

Only thing with these big FS reels is that they are a lot bigger/bulkier and heavier than a multiplier that you'd use for the job

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Yes casting esp on last throw F/S's does bend main shaft if spool is out near end of travel well look at it logically and you will see? mind some won't even if hit over the head with the perishing thing!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes casting esp on last throw F/S's does bend main shaft if spool is out near end of travel well look at it logically and you will see? mind some won't even if hit over the head with the perishing thing!!!
put it this way ,if you had 100 pounds and you had to buy a fixed spool reel ,considering all the ones ive looked at are shocking for the price and sometimes you like fishing rough stuff and you know the innards are made of the gubbins from a xmas cracker what would you buy?

·
Registered
689 Posts
put it this way ,if you had 100 pounds and you had to buy a fixed spool reel ,considering all the ones ive looked at are shocking for the price and sometimes you like fishing rough stuff and you know the innards are made of the gubbins from a xmas cracker what would you buy?
Any of the ones mentioned. FS reels are a lot better than they used to be. If you can get one on sale, - Ultegras mentioned for your budget then you're laughing. Give it a rinse after fishing, let it air dry, a wee oil every now and again and it'll last you yrs. If it were me id be trying to get the best deal I could - check the web, also a lot of the shops do price match - saved me a good few quid a few times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Penn Surfblaster is a great reel. Had mine two years and have not treated it that well, and still feels like new.
i have a diawa emcast 5500, first 1 the bailarm broke within 10 minutes so got sent a new one by diawa.
Not a nice reel at all for the money.
Still with the Penn!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got one of those ,havnt used it yet ,looks a bit nasty but I wanted to get out this weekend ,just won 2 wychwood riot big pit reels on evil bay ,one of my mates been using them and reckons theyre the bees knees ,30 quid each cant beat that .cant buy a lot for 30 squid nowadays

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.