World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is my first post on the site, but have been reading for a while .
This really got my goat today. A while ago myself and Chris from Newtown Boys were talking about the size of legally landed bass and I mentioned that Morrisons Supermarket in PZ were on the small size. Well today I went over to buy my misses some salmon for tea and seen some bass on the counter. After I was served the salmon I asked the chap what was the bass " farmed or sea " he said Sea, I then asked him did he know the legal size to which he said no. After a few comments from his collegue I asked him if he would kindly measure the smallest and the largest. Which he did, my eyes were not denying me and the smallest was 25cm and the largest was 31cm head to tail. To this I then asked where they came from and he couldn't tell me. I said in my opinion they were under size and it was propably illegal to sell them. He said I don't care mate I just sell the stuff here and walked away.
I rang the number that Chris gave me a while back and mentioned it to them and all they did was give me another to ring tommorrow if not monday. If we are to give our bass a chance to breed as the greatest majority of us catch and release to preserve the bass. I can't for the life of me see why supermarkets are allowed to buy and sell under size fish and no-one say anything, well I am going to write a letter to the manager of the said supermarket and complain about the under size fish and the attitude of his staff. I will also buy one of these fish and freeeze it to show who ever might do something about it. That is if they will serve me again.

Anyway sorry for wabbling on guys, Tight lines

·
Registered
706 Posts
What did it say on the label mate? They would almost certainly have been farmed if they were that much undersize (37.5cm minimum landing size here and now, 40cm in a few weeks time).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Na there was a tag there, And it def said sea and I was checking with the chap behind the counter. Def sea bass as the farmed bass was over in the fridges.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Na there was a tag there, And it def said sea and I was checking with the chap behind the counter. Def sea bass as the farmed bass was over in the fridges.

If your Morrisons is anything like my local, then I'd keep well away from the fish counter. The bass on sale here is all farmed in Greece and I doubt very much whether Morrisons would be selling undersize UK landed fish, I also doubt they'd pay UK market prices too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah, reckon they are right mate....even the most underhand commercial fisherman would not go that small!! Some of the guys behind the supermarket fish counters are pretty good...the ones at asda penryn are....and now that Asda has sorted out their sustainable fish policy (with a little help from greenpeace) they do have a decent variety, some even being line-caught. Anyway...although some of the counter staff are good, some are shi^e, and couldn't care less. So I wouldn't take the guys word for it!!! You will soon tell the difference if you buy one and try it!! They're not bad, but you can definately tell the difference between a farmed and a wild one thats just come off your hook!! :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I asked in Morrisons in Bude not so long back after noticing the size of their "sea bass" and was told that it was farmed at sea (where i do not know), I know they do it for salmon in big circular keep nets, perhaps its the same sort of method, but being in the sea it can still called sea bass. Tesco's Launceston have pre packed sea bass, most of which are the same small size as the mackerel lol.
If they would only call it "wild" sea bass then it would make it a lot simpler and set the record straight, but then they would have to comply with the law and I can't see any leading supermarket doing that coz it would mean them paying top money for it, therefore they opt for the cheaper tasteless option.
Wild Sea Bass is the only true bass and I'd never buy the naff alternative!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
'Sea bass' is just a term used for bass, full common name European seabass. Bass is another common name used, and the preferred one by anglers, who realise we don't have a freshwater bass over here so there is no point in adding the 'sea'!

If it is farmed (almost certainly the case) then it should be labelled as such, otherwise it would be misleading to consumers, who will naturally assume that all fish on the slab are wild unless stated otherwise!

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
'Sea bass' is just a term used for bass, full common name European seabass. Bass is another common name used, and the preferred one by anglers, who realise we don't have a freshwater bass over here so there is no point in adding the 'sea'!

It it is farmed (almost certainly the case) then it should be labelled as such, otherwise it would be misleading to consumers, who will naturally assume that all fish on the slab are wild unless stated otherwise!
Agreed - Sea-Bass is just a fashionable brand-name.

But whoever's selling fish ought to explain that and whether farmed or not, very true!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
706 Posts
Agreed - Sea-Bass is just a fashionable brand-name.

But whoever's selling fish ought to explain that and whether farmed or not, very true!

Cheers - John
All fish retailers are legally obliged to indicate the 'Production Method' on a label at the point of sale i.e. the manner in which the fish was harvested, either caught at sea "caught" or a product of aquaculture "farmed" or "cultivated".

If Morrisons are not doing this then I will look into it next week... that's all I am prepared to say at the moment!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hate the term "sea" Bass - you don't get "land" Bass or "air" Bass do we!!! Always gets my goat... and my missus is always winding me up about it!!!:uhuh:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I hate the term "sea" Bass - you don't get "land" Bass or "air" Bass do we!!! Always gets my goat... and my missus is always winding me up about it!!!:uhuh:
Maybe it's to avoid getting confused with a draft India Pale Ale that used to be brewed in Burton?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i recon the bass in the supermarket would have been spanish, or more to the point, landed by a spanish boat in spain, probley caught off our shores. they can land what ever size fish they want. and do!

the MLS is (or was, correct me if i'm wrong) a british thing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Used to hack me off a bit too - until I realised there are also species of fresh water bass in other parts of the world.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have seen lots of undersize bass in various supermarkets, one thing that i will say is that it shows without any doubt that legislation on our fisheries only works on paper and not in practice! these people that sit in these meetings to try and resolve the problems are disillusioned, payed off and couldn't give a stuff about are fisheries or the peoples views.

·
Registered
267 Posts
these are farmed ,sea bass,the guy at the counter was surely confused, i used to deliver fish to morrisons who in my opinion stock the frshest fish in the country for a supermarket chain ,ask any truck driver from peterhead.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have seen lots of undersize bass in various supermarkets, one thing that i will say is that it shows without any doubt that legislation on our fisheries only works on paper and not in practice! these people that sit in these meetings to try and resolve the problems are disillusioned, payed off and couldn't give a stuff about are fisheries or the peoples views.
uk imports vast amounts of farmed sea bass from france and greece.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
these are farmed ,sea bass,the guy at the counter was surely confused, i used to deliver fish to morrisons who in my opinion stock the frshest fish in the country for a supermarket chain ,ask any truck driver from peterhead.
I don't know what happens to it when it gets to the South West then. I've got no sense of smell but you could blindfold me and I'll walk directly to the fish counter in any Morrisons down here, I've seen paintings of fish with more life in 'em. Morrisons couldn't hold a candle to Waitrose in the fresh fish stakes, I'm afraid

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't have a clue as I did not see the fish but I have sent an email to DEFRA yesterday to complain about the enforcement of their minimum size limits (here the poacers even bragg about swapping them for free chineese meals...). got a mail back that the MFA would contact me... To be continued...

Jan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts