World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken a house for my sister's 80 birthday (3 years older than me!) so we're on Beach Road overlooking the sea and underneath the bridge. Arrived last night and sea was still and all night! Bridge still there this morning. Big tides so up this morning. Went off to Malcs this morning to let tide go down, and get some bait. He couldn't remember a time when there were so many Bass but I'd got mine in May when I was up last. Great atmosphere there and one of the lads helped with some new lures (and showed me a piccy of a 14lb Bass from last year - what a fish! ). Malc got me some short bits of live rag for my LRF work this afternoon (using an Assassin 11 rod I got from him 15 years ago!).
So back for lunch and fallen tide to find white caps as the wind had risen! Whilst eating and watching, became aware of an orange banana shaped buoy moving slowly backwards and forwards fairly close to shore. Of course!! Seen that before there and soon first one, then two ....... til eventually 6 heads came up each with Scuba tanks etc!!! Glad I wasn't down there then as it would have been a search for toilet paper!! Now getting stuff together to do battle with the little Wrasse and their friends (brought John Mason's book to help with the naming) Will obviously look a chump if no fish catching!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
hi mate,how much was the house,for the week,sounds lovely...surely there's got to be some bass there for you on lures...good luck..oly...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You were right! I'm a real old self abuser! Took me half an hour to get down 40 yds to the sea and the wind was blowing. So setting up the 17' rod and passing the thin line through all those rings! Next time - shorter rod bigger rings! Eventually trying hard, bobbing float, snagging weed, heron complaining! After some time Barbara turned up with some coffee - great. Put rod down to have swig AND OF COURSE I got a fantastic bite (bait suddenly shot off) Up with the rod and amazing take, for about a minute, then as it tired I lost the bloody thing!! Like I said What a Wa&&&r!
Wind dropped off slowly but of course big tide and moved me back quickly. Met a real gentleman - Alex - from Indonesia (glad he was here and not there) Taught at Coleg Menai, his wife at Uni. Had discovered fishing in e Swellies AND Malcs! Much help, lot of tackle and 27 Bass so far this year - all on his phone!! Really nice to meet you Alex!
Anyway I stayed on to try to catch. I'd refused an offer of Peelers from Alex, would you believe it! Absolutely shattered and had a Chinese meal courtesy of son and girlfriend (missed him playing bass at Dylan's Menai Bridge last night - just along road from here!
So today been a bit mixed really!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the house from Menai Cottage Holidays (600 quid a week) Expensive but not I suppose for birthday treat and holiday!
Windy today and a huge tide. Fishermen about afloat and feathered variety but wind putting me off! I am an old fart!
Got the lure stuff ready though,

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
lovely bass,mate,apparently the white waveworm has been doing ok at night,at the moment...
not caught since the 28th sep...having a horrible year!!!:mad::mad:..thanks for posting some hope!!!..oly...

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sunday's effort!

So another day at it, and still no fish! I'm right about myself anyway, absolutely useless! No long rod as it was blowing quite a lot, so lures and a little bottom fishing. Found a couple of small crabs and still some rag bits from yesterday. Got out the carp rod I use for bottom fishing in the Straits and set it up, fed the line attached one of my two hook things with an ounce weight running on the line. Crab on big hook worm on smaller one that's got a spoon and bead attractor. Great. Tug on trace to set length and ping, the tip ring snapped!! It's protected with a cover so it must have been corrosion. Not very pleased. Thought I'd have one cast anyway using second ring as tip! Reasonable cast so settled down to set up my Schifke Bass Plugger that I'd decided to use for lures. Lovely tool!

Eventually got trace length worked out and attached the small snap link thing to attach lures. Nothing showing on the bottom rod. Now which lure?? Even though I don't fish a lot I've accumulated lots of spinning stuff and even lures chosen from your reports (aren't some expensive?) Couple of soft bodied things with lead heads I'd made up courtesy of somewhere on here. Nothing doing, lost one in the kelp. No matter and went through masses (it seemed) before I spied an old favourite, a Toby!
No go though and I wasn't able to move around sat on my walker. Still I thought it was good practice working on distance and sinking/floating etc. It was still windy and I eventually pulled in the bottom rod and put it away. I'll go to Malcs tomorrow to see if he can repair the tip ring and I can get some 'proper' bait! Got cold, poor old thing, and put one of the expensive lures for a 'last set of casts' . About 6" long, plastic front vane, silvery shake, floating til cranked down and the vane pulled it under. Then of course I gave it some wellie out into the wind and it flew out right into a nearby moored boat! Interested a seagull and I was trying to Frighten it away! Obviously pulled for a break and I heard it drop into the bilge - nice surprise when he goes on board next time! The seagull will be telling it's mates about the flying Sandeel!
Best part of day my son and girl friend appeared to carry stuff to house! Bloody walker doesn't do in mud! The stuff builds up just above each wheel making it very hard going. My fishing would improve if I brought my dinghy out of the garden and back on a mooring! What, another day!!

Not the end though. Got back indoors sans boots, extra layers etc only for my wife to burst out laughing. There, hanging down from my crutch, like a codpiece, was the Toby spoon!! So I did catch something - a useless old fart!, There's always tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
10/10 for effort. I stayed indoors watching the footy. Great report. Malc will repair the tip in no time.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Nice one and great effort. Enjoyed reading. The "codpiece" made me laugh out loud :roflmao:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Malcolm fixed the rod tip ring straightaway and I was able to get some 'proper' bait for this afternoon! Amazing talking to a lad at the shop just returned from an LRF lure competition in Cornwall - he got second - huge selection of mini species as well as bass and mullet (pages on his phone all carefully annotated!)
What it is to be young when you're old and useless, but I'm going to catch today!
Spent time talking to Malcom about what is/has been caught in the Straits this year from hounds to big thorn backs in unusual places. The really unusual if I actually catch anything!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally!
So bait, tackle and a short time on a 31' tide before I had to go back to the house for the roast dinner (lamb and pork from Hootons farm in Brinsiencin - to be recommended!)
So out into the wind and rain! Was not going to not fish! No walker but a stick and a folding seat. Put on two small size six hooks and an ounce weight. Sure enough there were fish about - wrasse an a little brown Rock Cod. I've taken some pictures and will show as soon as I can remember how to do it and the Bass I had in May the last time I was up! Visited by the Green seal! The old blokes used to tell me that I'd never get fish if a seal was about but I consider the opposite to be true. The seal is there to eat so there must be fish there! No fish - no seal!

Great fun tiny bites and got a few! Fell back in love with the special currents. This morning about 6 was scanning the shore from the bedroom and saw 6 Little Eagrets! Thought they were seagulls til I I got the glasses. Seems they are now common in Wales, never when I lived here!
The Sherpas helped me carry my stuff back and greet the visitors and we had a great meal courtesy of son and girlfriend!
Anyway I did finally catch - not quite the useless old fart!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tuesday
No fishing! Thought I'd better be the helpful husband. Good day to choose as could not remember such a day weather wise in nearly 77 years. Huge tide with wind against ebbing tide. Those who know the Swellies will know what happens as the water rushes through the arches of the bridge. With wind against there was 2' drop from one side to the other complete with clouds of spray. Decided to walk along what's called The Belgian Promenade (built by grateful Belgians during the first war.) My lad and girlfriend head torched up last night to discover almost 2' of floodwater. The lad walked along the protective wall whilst Sioned waded barefoot! I thought what a good place to wash all the accumulated mud around the wheels Of my walker and my boots, whilst walking with my chief carer (Bar hates me calling her that) However the flood had drained away (isn't that my luck) so I was reduced to running the thing about in the sea - got the boots clean as well. Wonder what watching folk thought!
Did drive around to a spot I'd been told was good for fishing from the car - it wasn't unless you could cast 100 yds plus even at high tide without losing masses of gear! Perhaps I should put all my gear on EBay and be done with it!
However I've still got some frozen black left. The wind might have died down tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm bug""""ed fancy that! I was talking to him tonight. Must admit did not think him that old! I'd watched a lure utube of the bloke I'd talked to last night and Bar confirmed that it was the chap I'd talked to in Malcs! Told him tonight that I wanted a lesson next time I was up!
I agree his posts were first class showing excellent personal skill and knowledge of the area!
You live and learn.
There's someone out tonight on the other side of the Straits underneath the main each. It seems the wind has dropped!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wednesday
Decided to get a new rod! A 6'7" LRF so had to use up the black lug as well. Amazing weather after yesterday's gales. 24 degrees today and sunshine from side to side of the Straits. They reckon they have to charge me to go to Malcs but I'd decided to buy into the trend with a basic rod, though my 1000 size reels at home! Again I had Sherpas (I had been good and bought ice creams next to Beaumaris pier) and set up as it was thinking of going dark. Wow the bait stank but was attracting bites. However I was using big hooks hoping for a Bass!
I rigged the new rod for lures and had a practice but I think, as Malc suggested, that really I needed one of each ( LRF and lure) We'll see!

Getting dark, I noticed a little gull skulking nearby but as the carp rod was up high I hoped the bloody bird would be able to avoid me! Made the mistake of pulling rod up higher causing the line to shoot away. Hungry gull shot across the surface and of course put its head under the line! Concentration! Wound in very slowly with bird not panicking and only got up out of my chair last minute to push the bird down into the seaweed and shallow water! Pulled more line in and saw the top hook slide into a webbed foot!! Subdued bird some more with right hand and slid my left along to the hook snood. It did not go in over the barb and I was able to release the errant animal!
Seemed my wife saw it all and a passing angler asked if I was OK and asked her if he should go down and help! Thanks for the offer if you read this but as my wife replied to him, "no, I think he's got it organised!"

So yet again the Straits won but I had a great day. Yet again tonight I've seen two head torches over on the other side - hope they've caught!
That will be it for this visit I think, Who'd've thought I still needed a lot of practice! Thanks for reading about my pathetic attempts!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Finally!
So bait, tackle and a short time on a 31' tide before I had to go back to the house for the roast dinner (lamb and pork from Hootons farm in Brinsiencin - to be recommended!)
So out into the wind and rain! Was not going to not fish! No walker but a stick and a folding seat. Put on two small size six hooks and an ounce weight. Sure enough there were fish about - wrasse an a little brown Rock Cod. I've taken some pictures and will show as soon as I can remember how to do it and the Bass I had in May the last time I was up! Visited by the Green seal! The old blokes used to tell me that I'd never get fish if a seal was about but I consider the opposite to be true. The seal is there to eat so there must be fish there! No fish - no seal!

Great fun tiny bites and got a few! Fell back in love with the special currents. This morning about 6 was scanning the shore from the bedroom and saw 6 Little Eagrets! Thought they were seagulls til I I got the glasses. Seems they are now common in Wales, never when I lived here!
The Sherpas helped me carry my stuff back and greet the visitors and we had a great meal courtesy of son and girlfriend!
Anyway I did finally catch - not quite the useless old fart!
Loads of eagrets on the Dee marshlands

1 - 17 of 17 Posts