World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps, could anyone tell me the correct and safe method of unhooking sting rays on the beach, as optimistic about getting one this year many thanks oh knowledgeable ones.:notworthy

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Won't be targetting them myself........but just in case I catch one while trying to catch other species........are they good eating and if so, how do you prepare them?! lol.

Andy. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never had one of these,cant say i really want one either,just how dangerous are they ??,do they move really quick when they are going to sting ??all info welcome just in case.:unsure:

kjp.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Never had one of these,cant say i really want one either,just how dangerous are they ??,do they move really quick when they are going to sting ??all info welcome just in case.:unsure:

kjp.
The tail can move quickly, and that is where the sting is!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
There is nothing to be frightened of, its the very large ones that thrash about dangerously, just as already said turn them over and hold them as any other skate while retrieveing the hook, just be careful of the tail.

"Do they eat well" last one I had I hung for two days then cooked it as per normal. its ok but you wouldn't want to live on them lol

john

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
On the eating side I've never had one myself, but they are of no commercial value at all so I'm guessing they're not th best eating fish.

I've only had one small one and that wasn't a problem at all, just turned upside down and unhooked. I would be a tad nervous unhooking a 40-50lber though, especially when slinging the thing back!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts