World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

Further to my thread about tapered shock leader knot, I have been looking into the Uni knot. I keep coming across references that suggest the Uni knot is the same knot as the grimmer knot. I have tied grimmer knots before in my fly fishing days, and don't feel this is true, unless I've been tying the grainier knot wrong all this time.

What are your thoughts ?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's how I have alway tied a grimmer the difference being through the hook eye wrap round the main line six times then a loop then wrap around inside the loop six times that's the grimmer, if you don't go round the main line first isn't that a Uni knot ? Could be me mind I'm not the best with knots !

Chris

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
We knew what you meant :wiggle:

The uni-knot is the one I use for my tapered leaders. Just make a loop then four or five times round, lubricate and pull tight. No need for the extra strength of the Grinner knot IMHO.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Is the grimmer knot a better new version of the grim knot??????

PTR

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Oh dear! Even the man making the video can't see he's doing the same not twice!
No, he tied a grinner knot (with the extra twists at the start) and a uni knot (without the twists). The knot ends up being the same though so you could say they are equivalent. I think the extra twists at the start of a grinner knot help it turn inside out (flype) a bit better. I much prefer the grinner/uni to a half blood knot as it is so much neater and causes less kinks in the line.

·
Registered
331 Posts
No, he tied a grinner knot (with the extra twists at the start) and a uni knot (without the twists). The knot ends up being the same though so you could say they are equivalent. I think the extra twists at the start of a grinner knot help it turn inside out (flype) a bit better. I much prefer the grinner/uni to a half blood knot as it is so much neater and causes less kinks in the line.
Thats the point, the knots end up the same, and thats what counts. Anything you do as part of tying the knot like forming it round your finger, or shoe, or adding extra twists doesn't matter as its not part of the finished knot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your input guys. Great point about the end product being what counts. Out of curiosity though as you say the grinner has the extra twists up the main line to begin with....do these twists disappear when you form the knot then, if not the isn't the knot different not that it matters I just find this sort of thing interesting.

That's a lot of nots and knots in that post !

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys. Great point about the end product being what counts. Out of curiosity though as you say the grinner has the extra twists up the main line to begin with....do these twists disappear when you form the knot then, if not the isn't the knot different not that it matters I just find this sort of thing interesting.

That's a lot of nots and knots in that post !
Yes the extra twists un twist as you tighten it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.