World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MODERATOR:Let me know if this is too long or should be somewhere else(be polite!)

I,ve just got back into rock fishing after a very,very long break.
I bought some new gear, got some peeler crab and set to with renewed vigour. However- trip after trip all I was catching were wrasse, albeit some big ones and when I switched to other tactics such as plugging or spinning I ended up with nothing.
After a dozen outings I decided on another plan which involved changing venues and fishing an evening flood tide into a local estuary. Early one morning(Iwas told I would have to get to the shop early or they would be sold out)I bought an aerator and some live sandeels.I then went back to the shop and bought some king rag as insurance.I'd got half way home when the thought that I should get some more salt water for the livebait popped into my head,I turned around and headed for the nearest harbour.
The first three steps down to the water were okay but the green weed on the others should have sent out a warning signal,these were descended at a far quicker and less dignified rate! I was luckily just up to my knees but the sorry incident had been witnessed by a couple of weary trawlermen who just shook their heads and turned away.
Once at home I felt happier, the weather was warm so I put the eels' bucket inside a large dustbin and ran cold water around them like a cooling jacket to keep the temperature down. I was feeling very pleased with myself ...then the air pump stopped working!. For the next three hours I kept popping out and pouring some of the salt water back into the bucket to try and keep it aerated.
I then had to go on an obligatory family outing,this involved visiting a very boring shop which just happened to be opposite another bait supplier, so of course I bought some more sandeels.
I headed out to the fishing mark two hours early so that I could get some fresh sea water for the flagging bait.
Finally the light dimmed as the tide started to flood, I set up a float rig and put on the first eel to reluctantly volunteer.Two minutes later and the cigar float disappeared,I couldn't believe it. My 11' spinning rod took on a satisfying bend as I finally connected to a decent fish- then just as suddenly it went slack.On retrieving the line I could see the aberdeen hook was no longer a 'J' shape but had been bent into an 'L'. I quickly changed to a more substantial hook and cast out again -bang! down went the float and this time the fish was going to stay on . I played it carefully on the light tackle and after coaxing it through some weed finally landed a gorgeous pollack just under three pounds. Was I elated?Is the head of a bass waterproof!!
I did a little jig on the rocks,then quickly looked around to see if I was being observed.Satisfied my rock cred was intact I shivered a little in the increasingly misty gloom as I baited up and lobbed out another bait.Once again the float disappeared..,what an evening lay ahead of me,what a fool I'd been to ever stop fishing-this was really fun.

However some things are not meant to be.This fish was bigger and couldn't be pursuaded to leave the kelp sanctuary that it had wisely sought and once again,after ten minutes the line went slack.
I had fifteen live sandeels,some rag, the fish were biting and then....
I used to suffer from a minor complaint called Reynards disease which affects the blood circulation to the extremities but haven't had it for ages,until now.
My fingers were white and I lost all feeling in them.I blew on them,rubbed them vigorously but nothing worked.I couldn't feel my rod let alone tie a knot or thread a float,WHY NOW!!!
With a feeling of disbelief I threw out the rag to be consumed no doubt, by hordes of giant pollack and clumsily poured away the remaining eels that I had worked so hard to keep alive.
I was feeling cheated until I saw the pollack that I had caught earlier and my spirits lifted a little.When I start catching fish more regulary I will start returning fish but this one was for dinner.
I stumbled back up the path and by the time I reached the waiting land rover I was definitely smiling.

The following evening that pollack with a shared bottle of crisp south african dry white wine gave me the best meal I've had for years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I enjoyed reading that post, well done musket. I like float fishing aswell it's very exciting when that float goes under ha ha just a quick question how deep did you set the float?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woolylee,
Because it was getting dark I set the float shallow - just four feet,that was just on top of the weed,
Musket

·
Registered
767 Posts
nice post mate, welcome back to the world of fishing :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Musket

Enjoyed reading your thread. I would not call yourself unlucky. I would love to have done what you have done.

Happy Fishing

Woodster

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice one Musket! A good read. :)
I guess you got that buzz we all get when the float goes under and/or the line goes tight.
A great feeling.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Musket you're wasted as an ambulanceman you should take up writing for a living :) nice post m8

·
Registered
235 Posts
well done keep up the good work and please send in more posts like that one it was a pleasure to read :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts