World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a day off today so decided to go for a quick early flood attempt on the gilts. Not the nicest of conditions i must say but better than stayin round the house. Harvested some nice peelers and off i went. Arrived at the mark and it was very windy, not gonna be the comfiest of sessions i thought to myself. First cast resulted in bites on both rods, schoolies i would imagine but no hookups. Rebaited and cast out and same result, ravages of small fish so wound in and decided to concentrate on 1 rod.
Put a nice half of crab oozing orange juices out at about 30 yards and held the rod to feel for the little bass bites. About a minute passed when pluck,pluck(here they are i thought), pluck,pluck then whack, Carp rod almost doubled over with something very angry heading up river with me in tow! It probably took 20-30 yards of line on that run all the while i was getting massive head shake/bangs transmitting down the rod. I tried to stop it , i really did. i tightened the drag almost up but still line was slowly being taken. My carp rod has a 2 3/4 test curve and seriously it had no chance. And to cap it all off , the fish ploughed through some boat moorings and inevitably got snagged(although i could fully feel the fish kicking and banging even while snagged):schmoll:
Fished for a couple more hours but nothing else.
Gonna try again 2moro but the carp rod is staying at home(i was thinkin maybe the 50lb class all roller boat beast!!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
what u reckon it was , a nice bass maybe?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might have been a big lunker bream from the way it was banging around but we'll never know now :(

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeh real shame. always a next time though:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like a bream to me. Constant, angry head shaking!!!

Had a go for a few myself this eve, down the helford and missed a load of bites. Managed 2 schoolies and one cuttle fish which actually took the schoolie as it was commin in. Was a good 3+ pound in weight.

Better luck next time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts