World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

As someone who has been fishing for 15+ years, i have a rather strange question, How do you cast ? Im Left handed, and i remember when i was about 12 my dad (right handed) trying to teach me, he was very good at casting but a very poor teacher. translating a right handed cast to a total newbie left hander was just not working out. As a result i think ive development my own casting technique. im not saying its better than any other method, but this has been bugging me for some time and i would like to get some opinions on this. casting distance is not an issue for me, i dont do beach casting at all, but does this method enable me to preload the rod more ? or maybe create a higher potential energy ?

have a look at the pic, as you can see, when i start the casting i grab the line and loop it to the inside of my palm, i then grip the line and the top of the rod tight with my whole hand as i start the cast. does holding the line in this method allow me to build up more energy before the release ?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Might be better if you opened the pick up arm! :laugh:

Seriously, can't see that it would improve distance, in fact I think it would actually hamper you a bit, surely you can learn to hod the line with the index finger, a much safer and more responsive way of casting?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The way that you hold the line has nothing to do with preloading the rod .

Casting is a technique and timing thing mainly and imho the way you are holding the line looks like a line cut about to happen.

Have you tried a breakaway cannon out ?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
That could be a deadly method if the loop of line accidently caught one of your pinkies and you had a pound lead to drop or a 6oz breakaway to launch, even more successfull amputation with braid !

Breakaway do two release buttons, the cheap one is not worth trying in MHO, the other is excellent.:love:

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Doesnt the line spill off the spool when you put the bail arm over?

Personally I like a glove on, hold reel between your middle fingers, line held by index finger coming off the spool at right angles. Then the casting technique is the same as with other reels!

Jim

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
I personally use a finger stall from the chemist....

Holding the line like you are in the pic is seriously asking for trouble mate.........

If you prefer,you could use the thin racing cycle inner tube to cover your finger.

You will find,holding the line just over the bail arm in the crook of your finger,gives you better control not only of the line,but the rod,making it smoother to cast,and less of a chance of the rod slipping out of the exposed hand which has just released the line......

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as i mentioned, ive done it this way for many years, never had a problem,
as i open my hand at the end o f the cast, the loop pulls out cleanly, nothing catches or tangles, the point of what i was saying is that by holding the line back with the stopping power of my whole hand allows me to put a lot of power into the rod durring the swing, with no fear of it comming loose untill i want it to.

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
as i mentioned, ive done it this way for many years, never had a problem,
as i open my hand at the end o f the cast, the loop pulls out cleanly, nothing catches or tangles, the point of what i was saying is that by holding the line back with the stopping power of my whole hand allows me to put a lot of power into the rod durring the swing, with no fear of it comming loose untill i want it to.

Case of horses for courses I suppose.............

:g:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Looks like that could be dangerous! Casting left handed is the same as right handed, except the other way around of course. Get someone to show you mate, much easier to cast a fixed spool in the conventional way.

·
Registered
557 Posts
IMO it is a dangerous method. To allow the picture to remain on the forum could lead to problems if some one had an accident copying this method.

It is not only dangerous to the user but also to anyone in the surrounding vacinity. It would most certainly not be allowed at a casting tournament if noticed.

G

·
I am a left handed caster and I was once told by some nob head at at tournament that I would never be able to pendulum cast as all pendulum casters are right handed.

Door handle head.

As for holding your line like that I do feel that if you really compressed the the rod you would have a premature realease problem and could do someone some serious damage.

Try the breakaway cannon and see if you can put a bigger bend in your rod.

Issy's gonna have a field day with this reply......................The perv!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Deffo a recipe for disaster IMO.:nono:
Cant see how that could be secure in any way, unless yr applying virtually no power at all :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts