World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Aove: As purchased and shows the overall shape of her.

Above: New engine fitted and refit under way. BUT ----- Can anyone ID this boat for me which I am refitting ?

Year / Make / Model / Source ?

All I do know is she is 14½ feet long and the engine is "inboard / outboard" if you see what I mean :D and she has large built in bouyancy tanks, all around the Cuddy and all under the back seating.
More bouyancy than storage space for sure.
The transom also slopes inwards at around 28 degrees so is quite steeply sloped.

I have taken her right back to the shell and there are NO I/D plates / writing / marks to be found anywhere.

I was told she may be a "With" but I have never seen a "With" like this before.

Any help from you experts will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Can't help much but I think it is an East coast design. The Yorkshire cobbles that fished out of Whitby and Bridlington were that shape with the distinctive tumblehome transom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply :)

I know about the cobbles, but none of the ones I have seen had the inboard / outboard engine hole design and no one there when I worked there in February could help me.

All they seemed to agree on was that in their opinion it would be unstable in a rough sea and yet they were Soooooooooo very wrong.

Most stable 17½ footer I have ever been on board under power or at anchor.
I took it out the day I got it back to Scotland with the old 25hp engine that was on it when I bought it.

Even stern on into a rising foce 4 sea, I had no water spout rise up that inboard / outboard opening like I had been advised to expect, with water slapping at that area.

I even gained harbour with an onshore wind which is seriously advised against in Johnshaven !

The tumblehome is VERY steeply raked indeed and there was no way to fit even a standby outboard with out a plate to square off that area which I have done. I now have a wee 4hp Yamaha fitted to it.

I did even look for signs on an inboard engine but there is not a single sign of this anywhere under the new floor I fitted.

Could it simply be a one off design do you think ?
If so WHY build in so much buoyancy though ?
Even with it, it does not bob around and is quite stable.

·
Banned
132 Posts
ian howe has one of these but is not able to find out what make she is.
i dont know how he go on doing her up as theres been no more post from him.

it might be worth droping him a email to share any info/changes.

[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 weeks and several emails but no reply from Ian who was my main hope of getting some ID / info on my boat :-(
Anyone know where he is ??

·
Registered
75 Posts
hello there mate,
your boat does indeed look like it's from the east coast! it looks like a modern hybrid of an old coble design. i've seen a few with the inboard/outboard design... as for the model name etc, e-mail boatsandoutboards.com with the pics off of here and they'll probably be able to help! don't know what the others mean about it not being stable, take a little bit of time to ballast it and it'll be an excellant wee sea-boat! i'd have no worries bout taking it out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there Doors

THANKS for your reply pal.......... APPRECIATED :D

I shall indeed e-mail boatsandoutboards.com with the photos etc.

OK on the "ballast" situation as it does appear to have LOTS of buoyancy tanks for sure.
When I got the boat, the hollow spar which joined the bow tanks had a wee 4 inch flap cut into it, which I in my wisdom ?? re-sealed again as I did not know why anyone would wish to do that... maybe to add water for bouyancy ???

I shall find out a week Saturday (21st) as she is "in" at Johnshaven around noon for a wee play.
Had to have an engineer to commision the 40hp Tohatsu for the guarantee, so I found one with local with sea knowledge of the area too.
He also lives in Johnshaven :eek: which is handy.
Last owner did say he had no problems with her and that was with "3 big fat fellas fishing " on board...LOL

He trailered it and used it in the North Sea, off Cromer, around Anglesey and on the south coast too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
make sure you let us all know what it is when you do find out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fergal

Rest assured I shall announce it to the WORLD when I know.....but.....no luck to date :(

At least I know with one of the photos above that someone else has one even if he never answers the many emails I have sent him :confused:

He could solve my problem with one email....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
224 Posts
i did the same thing myself on here with a thread called "whats my boat?" i got alot of good suggestions but i eventually got a proper id on the pike and predator forums. i do alot of pike fishing aswell as sea fishing. might be worth putting a pic on there too as alot of those guys boat fish in boats of that size.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Fergal

I hear what you are saying....and will try just about anything.

All the Insurance Companies I have tried all say the same crap.... Make / Model and Date boat produced.

When I tell them the truth which is I DONT KNOW...I get....well we cannot insure you.

Does EVERYONE know the make and model of their boat ?
I think not ................they just tell porkies is all. :D
Must be some Insurance companies that will insure a boat that has no age or model number on her.

Till then I shall keep on trying to track the information down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Chris

INSURED ! Thanks :D

Ian has been in touch and we are emailing each other BUT he doesn't know make / model of his identical boat either ! :(

Insurance Company could not help with identification either !

Still trying :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Raychell is in the water tomorrow around noon, first time since refit.

She is also insured thanks to Chris and if she sinks she is well insured..... :D

I am enclosing a few piccy LINKS (to save space here) showing HOW I squared off that funny transom to take the 4 hp engine and also a general shot of the old girl in her new finery.

As stated in earlier post I am in touch with Ian who has the twin of this one and we intend staying in touch.

Just would like to THANK all who have helped me in any way and gentlemen..... YOUR ASSISTANCE was and is appreciated. :)

Fingers crossed for Sunday too, as I take the RYA Radio course so I can use my shiny new DSC Radio :)
Let us hope my first call is NOT a "MAYDAY" ha haaaaaaaaaaaa

NOW where are those damned FISH ??????????? :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL @ Chaz. :D
I buy more fish at the fishmongers than I have ever managed to catch BUT....one days fishing is better than a LIFETIME at work :cool:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
May I say what a fine job you have done there mate. :)
Have a good day and may the sun shine and the fish bite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts