World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm going sea fishing in Wales next month and have seen that my nearest tackle shop for bait is a 45 minute drive... :(

With this in mind I have decided that I will try and find my own baits outside of prime fishing time.

I wonder if the following baits which I know I can gather from the rocks will be any good?

Limpet...
Mussels...
Razor Clams...

I suspect that I will have to whip them onto the hook with some bait elastic but will they score well?

Cheers,
Jeff

P

·
0 Posts
Out of the choice you have given us, I would suggest, possible in this order:

Razorfish
Clams
Mussel

Limpet is not really tried but maybe it could get you the odd fish!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I can try and dig some worm but it's a family holiday so I can't be off for hours getting bait... I like the idea of just taking my rods down the beach, finding a little bait and getting a rod out there to watch as I spend time with the family...

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Take a fork anyway, I would have thought that you could pick up a few crabs as well, ty a pushnet, live shrimps?
Mussels make a good bait but they are better in winter.
I have never caught anything on limpits even the crabs don't oblige. You would have to use alot but winkles have nice littler bit of meat in them, just crack enough open to fill a smallish hook. I've had flounder on them.
It is surprising what you can collect. If you took a shrimp net you could try live baiting the small fish you catch.
I've done it on several occasions and I've found the best and easiest baits to scratch around for are live prawns/shrimps (dead ones work well too) and crabs soft and peelers.
Chris

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
fished mostyn last week the killer bait for flattie's was believe it or not indonesian frozen tiger prawn's from tesco's i had five dab and two plaice in two hour's and it out fished peeler which i had on an other rod, with which i caught one eel. ?????? work that one out ?????

P

·
0 Posts
There is nohing wrong with trying unusual baits and you will be pleasantly surprised!

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
hi i try supermarket prawns had a little luck,u can try mussel and see what happens.shaggy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weren't those tiger prawns a bit expensive :eek:

I am going to put together an a selection of things such as Macky, squid, prawns and maybe even some pre-cooked mussels from the shops and team that lot up with what ever the beach is good enough to give me :D

I reckon I'll do alright with that lot, so will avoid the haul around to the shops :cool:

Thanks again all.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
£3.75p for 10 dont mind if you buy it and catch with it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Has anyone tried shelling and using the bodies of our native prawns?
I peeled a couple out of interest, there isn't a huge amount of meat, but i'm sure 2 or 3 would fill a size1?

p.s I just thought writing that, shrimps/prawms have an exo-skeleton, would they not peel in the same way as crabs, peeler prawns? :confused:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
the lesser spotted multi coloured square puffer fish. this was last caught off the coast of little tidlington on the marsh. scientists believe that the rubics cube so strongly resembles the lesser spotted multi coloured sqaure puffer fish that it cannot resist a breeding opportunity.
i mean my god anyone with encarta should know that :)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Last time I used a Rubiks' cube all I caught was a spotty kid with glasses who bored me stupid by showing me he could solve it in 34 seconds - anyway he was too small so I threw him back :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did not catch them myself, but witnessed Pouting being caught on Polo's :p
(have to be Polo's, as Trebor mints a'int got no hole, and would be a cow with bait elastic !!! :rolleyes: )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts