World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a bit off an up and down day..

started off in morning going for bait at 6am, on a 60 mph road a deer leaped from trees and straight in front off car, not so good for deer,:uhuh:

could have been really serious if it leaped up as it was a large deer and would have easily went through car windscreen causing more problems,
luckily no other traffic was on road.

so after checking animal, :uhuh: i observed damage too motor.. ouch,
new full bumper and spotlight required , which i just had fixed 2 month previous, anyway it will be another
dear / expensive fix guessing 500 + notes.

so after a few calls i was on my way .
things must go on , and headed for bait,

then decided too go up too arbroath too try for pollack again, with my m8 Davie , who used too fish regular and had his frist try in ages.
when we arrived i thought pointless spinning as swell was big and if a pollack was caught it would have been nearly impossible too land, so we tried baiting at another mark,

davies first cast landed him a nice wee red codling off about 1 lbs 8 oz
my first cast landed me a codling just under 2 lbs.
so both off too a cracking start.

shortly after i got a good bite and pulled in my first
Ballan Wrasse 1lb 8 oz :yeah:

some set off knashers on them so i opted too get hook out with pliers.
davie moved again too kelp area and landed a nice wee codling
around 2 lb 8 oz.
then i foul hooked a sandeel around 0.5 oz if that counts lol :blink:
davie soon hooked a slightly better codling off around 3lb.
no pics as he was over on another rock and i wasnt walking that far hehe.
then i got a good take and thought it was a pollack that took my bait as it was putting up a good fight too find a larger Ballan on the end ..
weighed in at 2 lb 10 oz ... beautiful fish with even bigger teeth lol.
great colours on them fish , braw blues etc.

great powerful fish too. surprised me when i was bringing it in , it felt alot bigger than it was, still i was happy with catch. :yeah:

overall fish caught ( and all returned )
Davie 3 codling
F1F3R 1 codling , 2 ballan wrasse , 1 sandeel lol.. im counting it hehe. = 4 ahah.

cracking day with sun all day, im burnt red like a tomato too prove it :blink:
highlight for me was watching dolphins/ porpoises leaping out water possibly playing with a shoal off fish as Gannets were having a diving competion behind them, brilliant too watch.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Quality session mate (apart form the deer!) top pics too.
Neal
The skink

·
Registered
423 Posts
Fifer

Great session and some lovely wrasse. I'm hoping for one or two this weekend. What bait did you get them on? Well done M8.

Blenny

PS Shame about the dear deer!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fifer

Great session and some lovely wrasse. I'm hoping for one or two this weekend. What bait did you get them on? Well done M8.

Blenny

PS Shame about the dear deer!
hi Blenny,
forgot too put that in my post,
fished using Peelers, rag, lug, prawns

the wrasse were caught using rag worms.

rigs i tried and caught both wrasse was Runing Ledger booms on mainline, 6 oz grippers , with 4 foot clear amnesia trace too size 4/0 hook.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
nice reoprt. and well done on your first wrasse. its a nice male specimen also. there are a lot more females than males, hope it went back ok.

once the porpoises or dolphins find a shoal of mackerel they will attack them diving into the shoal. the gannets will also see this and join in.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
well done on the new species andy :clap3: i,ll be have a pop at them aswell this weekend , got a nice bucket of small hardback crabs , an plenty of rag :yeah::yeah:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
martyboy :
Well done andy, is that the season started properly now??
im no expert lol, but aye m8 i think its about here,
summer species arriving now, dolphins chasing the mackerel, red codling, wrasse , heres hoping for a good summer fishing .

dabcatcher :
nice reoprt. and well done on your first wrasse. its a nice male specimen also. there are a lot more females than males, hope it went back ok.

once the porpoises or dolphins find a shoal of mackerel they will attack them diving into the shoal. the gannets will also see this and join in.
interesting about the dolphins. pity i couldnt cast out 1 mile, for a mackerel :)
aye m8 , it went back fine few seconds later it was darting off.
just out off interest how do you know these were male wrasse ?

cheers.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
nice set of wrasse there andy especially the second one

i think you can tell by their anal fins that they shape diffrent to female ones
i think anyway

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Well done Andy- you dont seem to have a normal days fishing do you , lol, . A fine couple of wrasse though and nice to get some codling too. Cant believe you're counting the sandeel , ha ha why not. Hope to get you down to Burntisland some time for some floatfishing capers.
Maybe even have a mini meet here in the future, like Culross.
Laters..... Findus

·
Registered
427 Posts

Hi m8, what characteristics do you look for when identifying the males fom the females? Cheers keith:idea:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The females sit in the kitchen yapping while the males mess about with fishing stuff in the shed. Oh no,hing on,that's my hoose :g:

Well done on the wrasse Andy,in my humble opinion one of the best fighting fish around.I mind about 10 years ago my laddie hooked one in the channel at Pittenweem and it set off inshore towards the harbour taking nearly all the line off his reel.He was about 10 at the time and it took him probably 5 minutes to get it to the foot of the ladder where we eventualy got it up.Just short of 4 1/2 lbs,absolute cracker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts