Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes - to makes-no-difference

Votes: 1 8.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished all my life with my reel seated in the up-the-butt position but I am thinking to change to a new 14ft rod in the down-the-butt position with reduser.

Are there any advantages to using your reel in this position??

Regards & Merry Xmas

Doug

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Doug

Good question !!!

I will be interested to see what kind of responses this brings.

I did experiment a couple of years back with moving the reel down the butt, and I have to say that I found casting easier (not better) once I had got used to the new style - which took less time than I thought it would.

I didn't find that fishing with reel down the butt was practical for me - I was lucky enough to land a couple of tope from the shore during my experimentation phase, and my wrists were crying out each time (perhaps I have weak wrists?). I also spen a lot of time fishing over rough ground, and again I just found it uncomfortable.

I have since gone back to fishing with the reel up the butt, but I am considering more experimenting next year, hence my interest in hearing others opinions/experiences about this.

Like most things, I am sure there is a time/place/application for both up and down the butt.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug Chambers said:
I have fished all my life with my reel seated in the up-the-butt position but I am thinking to change to a new 14ft rod in the down-the-butt position with reduser.

Are there any advantages to using your reel in this position??

Regards & Merry Xmas

Doug
the advantage is you gain extra leverage with the reel low down

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Must confess I don't understand this debate. More leverage, because there's more rod above the reel I suppose? Therefore you can put more pressure on the fish? However if the 'lever' is the whole rod pivoting round the reel, the lower the reel the more pressure you will have to exert on the bit below the reel. Is this why you have to fit a reducer (seems the wrong word - should it be extender?) This would explain tired hands. Perhaps this idea is because I feel I am pulling on the bit of the rod above the reel and pushing away with my body on the bit below the reel.

Is the low/high position more to do with casting technique.

Please explain someone!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've read more rubbish by written by experts on this subject than any other. They talk about leverage and fulcrum points shifting according to the position of the reel, and therefore altering the "effective length" of the rod and its action. All tosh.
Whether the reel is in the high or low position the position of the hands is the same so this has no effect on the cast. However here are a few points -

1. With the reel low down the BALANCE of the rod is affected. Many casters (myself included) suffer from a weak pull down with the left hand at the end of the cast. A low reel position adds weight to the end of the rod and results in a stronger pull down and therefore a better casting action.

2. With the reel low down it is possible to get a better grip on the spool enabling more pressure to be applied during the cast and/or more confidence on the part of the caster. Again, this results in a better casting action.

3. A key point - many anglers reckon having the reel low down "slows the rod down" making it easier to cast coz the reel feels softer. Surely its more likely to be coz - using the same drop length - you've just added 2 feet more of leader material between the reel and the sinker. Mono stretches a lot under pressure and this probably makes the rod react more slowly during the casting stroke.

4. However, low reel good for casting - bad for fishing. Leverage does play a part when reeling in and a high reel is far better as you shorten the lever working against you when a decent fish is being played. Solution - a sliding reel seat. Cast low, reel in high. Penn, ABU, Ron Thompson, Greys all do them. My only concern is whether they twist round the butt while playing a good fish...

Rhod.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well put Rhod.

Nice to know that I am not alone in finding that down the butt isnt always practical for fishing - especially over rough ground.

It's also a good point you make about being able to grip the spool better 'down the butt' - very helpful for those without large hands when it comes to using the Daiwa 'sloshes' with their badly angled gear housing.

The idea of an adjustable reel seat had crossed my mind. Seems to be a worthwhile option now that some decent ones have been introduced in recent months.

Going OT slighty, has anyone used either the Imax or Abu sliding reel seats ?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Cheers Rhod, a very clear description which makes sense for me. Sounds like casting is easier then because of thumb position and presumably slightly extra length. Interesting that someone else having left the 'reducer' in eventually had to saw it off! As you say a moveable rod seat gives best of both worlds.
What you say about, 'slowing down the rod' is interesting. I'm a lobber essentially because there's no need for 80% of the time to go beyond 70 yards where I fish. However because I'm beginning to travel around a bit more (even on Anglesey!) I feel the need to master-the-casting. Thus moving the reel might help. The golf pros. talk about slowing things down when driving for instance (I'm no good at that either!) It's about arcs and acceleration, hence rod length and reel positions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Now that the sliding reel seat is such a common sight on the beaches these days it's quite conceivable to cast with the reel in the low position and reel in in the high position. As for the merits of casting in the high or low positions i feel in my case it makes little difference and i fish 14' rods.I think it boils down to what suits you best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi basically its advantagious for longer casting but its everyone to their own!i use up butt as i feel im in more control when use low i have real problems AT TIMES not allways(then you,ll get responses totally different)its down to where your fishing say for example its beach fishing then down butt helps get your baits out over 3rd breaker easy!!my mate fishes with reel as low as poss and wont fish any other way where i cannot get to grips with it so not much help only time will tell but can tell you for sure your casting will increase 50 yards+ easy!well main thing is enjoy your fishing and hope your pb comes along&then maybe that will decide it for you merry xmas&all the best for new-year,tightlines c ya

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with Denzle , as you may have seen in earlier posts,I ahve just bought the Abu Conolon with sliding seat.
I use the low position for the cast itself,When put the rod on the stand I put it high,Having left it low on coulpe occasions I seem to think it stiffens the rod and the Abu is not that flexible at the top anycase

1 - 11 of 11 Posts