World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update on Spurdog and the Scottish Marine Directorate

I spoke to the head of conservation from the Scottish Marine Directorate today.

Like the NWWRAC, Scotland had applied to the European commission to change the 5% by-catch daily catch to a quarterly 5% by-catch. Fortunately the commission turned them down and asked them to look at different packages which would still allow the regeneration of the spurdog.

Interestingly closed areas was one of their suggestions, which may just work in our favour in getting Sunnart and Etive and surrounding waters declared a nursery area.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
some good news there ian , not a 100% sure of the closed areas the commercials would want something in return for areas being closed off , which might just leave them wide open to hit the spurs on the migration routes ????!!!

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
theguyfulla thats a good point, but waht i would like to know is....

would having areas closed off affect recriational fishing?

I know there is a new marine bill due 2012 and that people can cast a vote to see which areas shold be protected, with the right support this can be achieved, there is meant to be different protection levels,

I know of a couple of places near me which would be great to get protected from commercial fishing

G

·
Interestingly closed areas was one of their suggestions, which may just work in our favour in getting Sunnart and Etive and surrounding waters declared a nursery area.
Would not push for anything you need the full effect of the 5% bycatch to filter up through the chain. Once merchants, fish suppliers have left the species there is no easy market for the product hence less fishing effort in the future. They know this. To allow a change now may backfire.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would not push for anything you need the full effect of the 5% bycatch to filter up through the chain. Once merchants, fish suppliers have left the species there is no easy market for the product hence less fishing effort in the future. They know this. To allow a change now may backfire.
I am just chuffed the commission are holding firm. In the past they have given in to commercial demands. It seem they are taking the need for shark protection seriously

G

·
Certainly does sound as though the commission are holding firm, nice one :clap2: Long may the support continue :group:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts