World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These warnings are issued when severe weather is expected to cause widespread disruption to traffic etc. over the next few days. See the guide below for more details.

Current warnings:

ADVANCE WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales.
Issued by the Met Office at 08:52 on Thursday, 23 December 2004.
The Met Office is still forecasting a much colder spell for Christmas, in complete contrast with the mild weather experienced at present.
Bands of snow showers are forecast to develop in the north-east tomorrow, Christmas Eve. These will spread to many other northern and western areas overnight and during Christmas Day, becoming heavier and more prolonged as they do so. There is an increasing risk of some snow showers in the east on 26th as winds come in from the North Sea. Southeastern areas may see the rain turn to snow on the highest hills on Christmas Eve, but generally dry weather will follow with only a low risk of localised snow showers.
For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.
Transmitted by the Met Office at 08:52 on Thursday 23 December

Confidence in a cold spell for Christmas is now considered high, but there remain doubts in the exact detail relating to the snow. Marked localised variations in snowfall are expected, with locations exposed to the north or northwest seeing several centimetres, whilst other more sheltered areas escape with little, if any. Disruption to travel is more likely in the north and west.

ADVANCE WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Northern Scotland, Eastern Scotland, South West Scotland, Northern Ireland, North West England, North East England, The Midlands, Wales, South West England, Central Southern England, South East England and East Anglia AND Lincolnshire.
Issued by the Met Office at 07:01 on Wednesday, 22 December 2004.
This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow.
The Met Office is forecasting a much colder spell for Christmas.
This will follow a couple of days of mild, wet and, at times very windy weather during which gusts to 70mph or more have the potential to cause disruption in some northern areas.
Snow showers are forecast to develop in the northwest on Christmas Eve and these will spread to many other northern and western areas on Christmas Day, becoming heavier and perhaps more prolonged as they do so. There is an increasing risk of some snow showers in the east on Boxing Day as winds turn more to the north. There is a possibility of disruption to travel with the risk of several centimetres of snow accumulating in places, especially over hills.
Confidence in a cold spell for Christmas is moderate to high but there are still doubts in the detail, whilst marked localised variations in snowfall are likely, with some areas escaping.
For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.
Transmitted by the Met Office at 07:01 on Wednesday 22 December

This warning will therefore be updated around 0900 tomorrow, Thursday 23 December.

Make sure you know what to do when severe weather is forecast, follow our severe weather advice. For more detailed weather information in your area, contact Weathercall.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Lendusaworm, I'm sure you are extracting the urine from us "Jacks", we have'nt seen any snow worth talking about since 1978! & before that 1963!
There is snow on the Xmas cards in our front room, but I reckon thats all we'll see this year! Saying that, Jury & I have filled up our 4x4s with diesel in case there is a shortage, my freezer is stocked with frozen blacks & squid, and my flotation suit is in the airing cupboard, the outboard tank is full, & the batteries for the gps, vhf, are on charge.
All we need now is that leaden sky, the wind to drop away, & the lunkers to come on the feed! you really are taking the p**s lendusaworm! it will empty down with rain, get mild, & blow a gale, you watch, then your name will be Hewhospeakswithforkedtongue!!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you think im taking the p...s so be it blueskip i passed a warning message from the met office as information to the people on this sight as for you filling your 4x4 and stocking your freezer take it up with the met office! and i only hope we dont have a large amount of snow that it dosent bring the power cables down as you will loose all that loveley bait and you wont be able to charge your battries and of course the sea freezes over. happy xmas clive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts