World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for rod recommendations- I fancy upgrading my Imax FR Match Plus', fantastic all-round rods but I'm keen to try something else!

I mostly fished clean to mixed grounds for Rays, Huss and Hounds, casting 6oz of lead plus a sandeel, crab or whatever on the end. Mostly use a multi in the reel down position.

I use an aerialised ground cast/low swing, so I prefer a slightly firmer tip and a butt which isn't totally rigid. Tip can't be too stiff though- don't want to trip out the lead in a strong tide!
Preferably I'd like something similar in action/power to the Imax Plus.

I was thinking about a 2nd hand Kompressor S, Zzippy M4, TTS, Excalibur C, maybe even a new Fireblade. Would any of these fit the bill?

Cheers,
Brodie.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Got the match pro's (and the Saltists ! ) MP's are brilliant rods, quick recovery, light, and more power than given credit for, the Saltists are my Fav rod at the mo, fast actioned with plenty of power but very usable, just wished they would extend the shrink tube another foot up the butt !! both great rods and would not disappoint .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Got the match pro's (and the Saltists ! ) MP's are brilliant rods, quick recovery, light, and more power than given credit for, the Saltists are my Fav rod at the mo, fast actioned with plenty of power but very usable, just wished they would extend the shrink tube another foot up the butt !! both great rods and would not disappoint .
Agree with you regarding the shrink tube Tim. Its the only minor niggle I have with this rod. Superb rods though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, Jason, have either of you used the red Daiwa Tournament rods? I used to have one, thought it was nicer than the Imax's (quicker recovery, really light, responsive). Only sold it as I preferred the stiffer tip of the Plus' at the time... If the Saltists are anything like them I may be tempted! 😬

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi 206, I've not used the Red Diawa's ( the next model on from the Saltists ) but would imagine it to be similar to the rest of the Diawa range as they have totally revamped them all, making them a lot faster actioned then their original counterparts including the Sandstorm (seen the Vid from John Holden, they look really nice rods, much better than before), their slimmer and lighter too, Judging by the Saltists, (i've had the Imax plus rods) they are prob just as fast, if not faster than the Imax with a beautiful action , bit more power but easy to cast, don't think you would go wrong with Diawa.
I've also tried the Fireblades, much prefer the Diawa's !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi BP206. I havnt used the 2 piece red tournament rods but agree with Tim on the saltists. Light, slim blanks,quality fittings and a lot of useable power. Great with 6oz and bait,even used a 7oz no problem. Recovery is very fast. They would be ideal for what you want.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It sounds like I fish similar conditions to you, Bristol channel reefs, Minehead area and bit of Chesil.
Rays, hounds and eels are the main species I catch regularly with a 165-175 lead +squid crab etc.
I like a light weight rod so for me personally the Fireblade has been perfect.
Slim, light and very forgiving for a mixed ground rod with ample power for getting decent fish up over the rough stuff.

The Graphex SM/Sport, another option, are lovely, also slim and light, but in a different price bracket.

If your not bothered about the weight then I would imagine there are plenty of options out there.....see if you can try a few, that's always the best way. I borrowed a Fireblade, as a mate had one, and at the time I was thinking of upgrading my C curves to a Graphex Sport... Fell in love with its ease of use and not looked back..... 😊

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I'd agree. My Tip Tornado mk1 is still going strong (25 and still original), Ive tried many other rods but they lack 'feel' when casting or playing a fish. I use a Kompressor for big baits and 7-8oz leads, but there's little feel to it. Tried a mates Fireblade and ordered one next day. Slim, light and responsive, with no prob handling 6oz plus bait, and it really bends! Century may well have backed themselves into a corner with this rod, do we need flashy whipping/underwhipping for £500, or is a light and minimalist rod that does the same job for half the price better? I think so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts