World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps, I put this on the bait forum but got no replies, so I thought I'd try the intelligent forum

"Had a discussion with my Kentish relative today about bait digging. He lives very close to Erith Pier and swears blind that the place is covered in casts and blow holes

The mud looks very soft to me and I am loathe to have a go in case I sink

Has anyone dug the upper reaches of the Thames, does it produce a good worm, is it safe "

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know that there are maddies everywhere up there supposedly.

As for safety, mud is mud and take liberties with it at your peril.

You can learn to walk on mud but it takes practise and concentration.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know that there are maddies everywhere up there supposedly.

As for safety, mud is mud and take liberties with it at your peril.

You can learn to walk on mud but it takes practise and concentration.
watch out for gulleys filling up behind you too,had to wade through em a couple of times ha,phone and car keys held alloft.try boots with a wide foot print too

·
Registered
262 Posts
Know a guy who was digging off of the hoo peninsula, got into bother and was up to his neck in water, stuck firmly in the mud by the time they got him out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Always a dangerous practice--but-- if you want to try, the lifeboat guys at langstone harbour and probably elsewhere, use mud packs on their feet to rescue would be mud walkers-- bait collectors from the slack mud in the harbour. They are a bit like snow shoes the eskimos wear. but how you would get on digging Im not sure. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
18,550 Posts
Always a dangerous practice--but-- if you want to try, the lifeboat guys at langstone harbour and probably elsewhere, use mud packs on their feet to rescue would be mud walkers-- bait collectors from the slack mud in the harbour. They are a bit like snow shoes the eskimos wear. but how you would get on digging Im not sure. Good Luck!!!
I think that to be a very old but effective bit of kit known as ' mud pattens '. It's a concept that could use some intelligent design,which would improve the things no end.
Either that, or go bait digging with a small hovercraft. :laugh:
Cheers,
Davey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts