World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going uptide fishing for the second time next month at bradwell.
i am after a cheap set up to get me started. i have tackle but need rod and reel does anyone have any views about the combo deals that are about at the moment(jarvis walker ron tompson etc) if not could you advise a better alternative around the 50-60 pound mark. i no i am not going to get quality gear for that amount but its just to get me started.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jim,

Don't waste your money on cheap rubbish. Hire your rod etc. until you can afford a decent set up. If you are going out with Terry Batts or John Rawle, ask them if you can use some of their tackle, they are both sponsored and should make no charge for borrowing.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could someone please tell me why most multipliers have right hand wind. is there any benefit to it or should i get a left hand version. ps i am right handed.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jim,

They are made for right handed people. You can buy left handed reels for left handed people.

We in the angling world are well catered for.

It is entirely up to the user as to what hand suits them best, ask your tackle dealer to let you have a go with a left handed reel to see if it suits you.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do a lot of fishing with a fixed spool reel which you wind with your left hand but hold your rod with your right hand. this seems to be right for me. ie right handed hold rod in right hand. i no that with a multiplier you hold the rod upside down i just cant see no benefit in holding the rod in my left hand.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jim,

There is no answer to this one, I am exactly the opposite. I must admit that I no longer use my f/s reel for beachcasting. I use multipliers all the time even for spinning. When using my f/s I changed the winder to the other side to enable me to wind with my right hand.

I would be interested to hear from other members as to what method they use.

Cheers

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Jim,

I discovered boat fishing after a number of years on the coarse fishing scene, and all my fishing in this format had a left hand reel bias, like you, holding the rod in the right-hand. I also did an awful lot of pole fishing, which relied on the whole of my right side.

I really struggled for the first few boat sessions, tried left hand multipliers, but eventually found a comfortable method for right-hand reels which for a right handed person does give me more feel and control (especially drag control) on multipliers.

As Drew says I think it's all down to what suits you, and most important, personal comfort. I've watched lots of people and everyone has their own mannerisms that makes fishing styles unique to them.

For me, it was a case of lots of trial and error (and frustrations) until I knew I’d found my own way of minimising lost bites and playing the fish in successfully, I’d stopped trying to copy other people and found what suited me.

When I do use a Fixed Spool, I still find myself swapping over the reel handle to the left, old habits I guess!

Have you considered using the big carp baitrunner fixed spools or sea equivalents for uptiding, I’ve just put a posting on to see what advice and opinions others may have?

Cheers "Lofty"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just bought a ron thompson zensorflex uptider.
i think it is a new model to the superior. along with a okuma 300 left hand wind.
i wasnt expecting the rod to be in equal lenghts .i thought it would have a shorter butt section.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Jim,

You only get what you pay for. How many rings does it have?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8 rings.
1 on the but
7 on the top section. the rod feels quite stiff to me is this normall for a uptide rod or should i have gone for the 2-8 oz casting weight. i am going out of bradwell next month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts