World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apart from the running ledger is there any other rig you guys use for uptiding ?

Ta

·
Registered
308 Posts
For cod fishing I like to use a loop rig with a 3ft hooklength. I place a stainless piece of wire in tubing above the lead. Eye of top pennel hook goes over the wire and bottom pennel on an impact lead or impact shield. This gives a compact rig that won't wobble too much in flight that you can whack out a good distance (80 yds) with ease, even with a whole squid. It is also safer as no trailing hooklength. For Plaice I use a 3 hook paternoster with short hooklengths ( 6inches) loaded with beads and spinner blades. This has been very successful for me.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For cod fishing I like to use a loop rig with a 3ft hooklength. I place a stainless piece of wire in tubing above the lead. Eye of top pennel hook goes over the wire and bottom pennel on an impact lead or impact shield. This gives a compact rig that won't wobble too much in flight that you can whack out a good distance (80 yds) with ease, even with a whole squid. It is also safer as no trailing hooklength. For Plaice I use a 3 hook paternoster with short hooklengths ( 6inches) loaded with beads and spinner blades. This has been very successful for me.
This is a boat rig ?? Any pics to illustrate ??

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mmmmm not so sure about this uptiding from a boat

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fishy Saint,

I wll take picture to show you over the weekend. It is an adapted shore rig. I use another similiar rig that is essentially a wishbone clipped with the hooks opposite each other which also casts extremely well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is the Plaice rig. If you zoom in you can clearly see how short the hooklengths are. Each one has 3 spinner blades seperated by beads. As you can see it works, but only when cast up and across a good run of tide.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Running ledger or fixed lead with 4’ or hook length, covers most things when boat casting.
I cast a running ledger now Jon but, I have troubles with tangles, that’s why I’m seeing if any other rigs that work well!!

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I cast a running ledger now Jon but, I have troubles with tangles, that’s why I’m seeing if any other rigs that work well!!
What sort of tangles? Is it the hook length twisting ? Unless you have a particularly long trace I can’t see what’s to tangle, after all it’s the most basic of rigs.
I tend to use 30lb amnesia with single 4/0 for skate, free running pennel4/0 s for round fish. Sometimes I use a small zip slider but mostly a link swivel to attach the lead.no need for fancy booms or coat hangers, they just cause problems.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What sort of tangles? Is it the hook length twisting ? Unless you have a particularly long trace I can’t see what’s to tangle, after all it’s the most basic of rigs.
I tend to use 30lb amnesia with single 4/0 for skate, free running pennel4/0 s for round fish. Sometimes I use a small zip slider but mostly a link swivel to attach the lead.no need for fancy booms or coat hangers, they just cause problems.
I normally use a small/medium boom, 30lb amnesia hook length about 3ft long with either single or double 3-4/0 hooks.
I use long wire fixed gripper leads 8-10oz.
The hook length seems to tangle around the grip lead. I’ve even tried stopping the line off the reel just before the lead hits bottom but still it tangles !! Not every time but 40%..

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Maybe too tight on the main line is causing agro. I cast out, generally 45 degrees forward, then let my spool run for a few seconds, maybe 20 turns. I then leave it alone, I don’t try to tighten down having a bow out helps hold bottom. My line when fishing meets the water 3/4 to stern, and I guess my leads resting place is probably square to the boat.
I also always hook my baits on the lead grips when casting, but that’s only to cast smoother, nothing to do with tangles.
This tactic will hold in the strongest tide runs, and shouldn’t tangle too often.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe too tight on the main line is causing agro. I cast out, generally 45 degrees forward, then let my spool run for a few seconds, maybe 20 turns. I then leave it alone, I don’t try to tighten down having a bow out helps hold bottom. My line when fishing meets the water 3/4 to stern, and I guess my leads resting place is probably square to the boat.
I also always hook my baits on the lead grips when casting, but that’s only to cast smoother, nothing to do with tangles.
This tactic will hold in the strongest tide runs, and shouldn’t tangle too often.
Sounds pretty much the way I do it , maybe I need to just let it sink a bit more with more of a bow out. Oh well practise practise practise ..... cheers for your input Jon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I normally use a small/medium boom, 30lb amnesia hook length about 3ft long with either single or double 3-4/0 hooks.
I use long wire fixed gripper leads 8-10oz.
The hook length seems to tangle around the grip lead. I’ve even tried stopping the line off the reel just before the lead hits bottom but still it tangles !! Not every time but 40%..
I use 60lb sensor for the hook length, 30lb maybe a bi light and prone to tangled?

Also if you have a heavier snood a conger/ray less likely to chomp right through it

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have drawn a picture to illustrate the rigs I described. I am no artist and could only find an orange felt tip. However, it is good enough for you to get the idea. They never tangle in flight and go further as the lead is not dragging a flapping bait. Wobble is reduced in flight as the bait is held top and bottom securely, not like in a traditional clipped hooklengths that still has play in the hooklengths. Bait releases on impact with the water. I have used these rigs since the mid 90s for both shore fishing and uptiding. Much safer when being cast in the boat as well as no trailing bait. Distance is also improved due to the fact the lead and bait can be lowered right onto water to cast giving a bigger power arc. With a good upside rod and reel a whole squid can be cast over 80yds. I use an old Daiwa Amorphous whisker and a 525 loaded with .32 mono. Works better than braid for uptiding.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have drawn a picture to illustrate the rigs I described. I am no artist and could only find an orange felt tip. However, it is good enough for you to get the idea. They never tangle in flight and go further as the lead is not dragging a flapping bait. Wobble is reduced in flight as the bait is held top and bottom securely, not like in a traditional clipped hooklengths that still has play in the hooklengths. Bait releases on impact with the water. I have used these rigs since the mid 90s for both shore fishing and uptiding. Much safer when being cast in the boat as well as no trailing bait. Distance is also improved due to the fact the lead and bait can be lowered right onto water to cast giving a bigger power arc. With a good upside rod and reel a whole squid can be cast over 80yds. I use an old Daiwa Amorphous whisker and a 525 loaded with .32 mono. Works better than braid for uptiding.
Many many thanks for taking the time to show the rig patterns. I’m a bit unsure of the 2nd photo. Are the two hooks at each end of one piece of mono that travels through a swivel, on the end of the snood ? Also, are these the adjustable clips you use ?
E2CEA9F2-FF14-4CD9-9AD3-1FD1790C800A.png

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Hello mate I used to use a long and low beach rig up tiding . With hooks clipped down . Never had a tangle and then it still works as a running ledger .

1 - 20 of 125 Posts