World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Probably been asked lots before but have searched through various threads. Lookling for an uptide rod that i could use for general fishing from the boat if needed. Stumbled across the abi suveran uptide combo. noticed in one thread that Cascars?? has one.

Any thoughts on the rod, or any others that i should consider?

Help gratefully recieved, the girlfriend is buying me a rod for my birthday.:clap2: :clap2:

Cheers guys

Ben

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Get a greys longboat 20lb, it is nearly 9 ft in length and can be used equally as effectively for uptiding and downtiding, now theres a thought. I intend to use my new speedmaster for uptiding for tope this summer. The new Abu Esprit uptiders are good aswell, they are built for braid and have softer tips. Other than that the Suveran 4-8oz and the Daiwa TDBX are the most popular uptiders.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one of the originals and have used it for many different styles of fishing...uptiding for rays and bass, drifting for plaice, turbot and bass, light downtiding for bream and bits, wrecking for cod and pollack, and my son (9y.o) even uses it as a scaled down beachcaster!

I would recommend this every time, and a few friends have bought one one the strength of a loan session with this rod. I particularly like the tip action on this rod, coupled with the stiffness of the remainder.

One thing to watch is the sliding butt arrangement - mine is locked solid (luckily at just the right position for my use) but carefully maintaining this would prevent this happening.

I think if you shop around you can get it for about £90, to be honest, in my opinion the Greys range of uptiders (also with sliding butt) are the only things that comes close....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Greys Long boat 15/20lb great all rounder.:yeah:

Why?, the 'UT Suveran' locks its butt, heard so many who say this but still it is recomended, and that double butt unballances the rod in my humble opinion.

Suveran boat rods, 7'9" pure heaven to use, the rings are vunerable, but it seems we cant have everything can we:g: :clap2:

ET's OPO

C

·
0 Posts
I am still waiting to use my new combo, hopefully this coming week and will see how it handles. As others have said the sliding butt is a pain in the butt if it jams as my original Suveran Pro has, but otherwise a great rod.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Don't know how far you want to cast but on our boat we are going shorter, we have abu suveran 12/20 and 20/30, penn 12/20 cheapies and the solid c Maximus 20/30 all of these are about 7.5 feet and will cast well with the added bonus of being comfortable when used on the drift or justdropping straight down, and best of all they do not trip you up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Don't know how far you want to cast but on our boat we are going shorter, we have abu suveran 12/20 and 20/30, penn 12/20 cheapies and the solid c Maximus 20/30 all of these are about 7.5 feet and will cast well with the added bonus of being comfortable when used on the drift or justdropping straight down, and best of all they do not trip you up.
Same scenario here, Suveran 12/20-20/30 and 15lb Greys Longboat, with its adjustable reel seat suits all my needs. The only other one is the Conoflex Trilogy 6lb, again 8'6", Stan of Alba Rods did me a special with the reel seat in the right place, great.

Considering the 7'9" length and the poor reel position (only when casting, which you quickly get used to), on the Suveran boat rods, they really are the 'all rounder to beat all rounders' on a boat:clap2: In my humble opinion:unsure:

ET's OPO

T

·
0 Posts
Check out the stunning little rod I reviewed the other day.
Made by our very wn forum contributor Stan M through his company, Alba http://www.alba-rods.co.uk this little baby is written up as IGFA 6lb class, but closer to a UK 12lb / 16lb rod with huge amounts of backbone and perfect as a nice light uptider that lends itself to general use.

It is the higher end of the price bracket for an off the shelf rod, but there is nothing off the shelf about it. You choose the reel poistion, grips, colour of wraps, rings.

If you do nothing else, read the review in the reviews section and asked Stan M for more info.

Tom

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i use greys uptiders, the 4/8 oz, and the 6/8 oz, both are very fine rods, i also use the longboat rods, 15/20lb and the 30lb rods, they are very much on a par with the abu's, in fact the extension on the uptiders is of a better quality to the abu's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts