World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys & girls, please can you tell me what distance you can get with a uptide rod ?
I use mine for the piers with a 2oz sinker and Feathers/Rippers for the mackerel, but I'm not sure about "Full Casting" with a 4 or 5oz sinker " I don't want to snap me rod"
I know it is 2 to 4oz casting rate but do you just lob it out or can you/I do a full cast ???
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using an uptide rod on piers and off of rock marks where a longer rod isnt as practical for a while now.

Mine is unusual in that it has a 2-10oz casting rate, so quite a range. I normally use a 4oz weight, and paired with my daiwa emcast i can cast it about 60 yards.

If i were you i'd start with a 3oz and see how you fair. Uptide rods are generally very sturdy.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Mr Kriss, I have also just got a Ron Thompson Zensorflex 9'6in
4-10oz, Uptide Rod and it's brilliant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to know i'm not the only one who has taken to using an uptide rod for non boat use. In fact mine has never been near a boat.

It has become my first rod of choice for many situations now. Very handy as an all round general purpose rod, very versatile.

What kind of cast distance do you find you can get with it?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the moment I'm using a 2oz sinker + 3 feathers and getting about the same as you 60 to 80yds, but next time I'm out I'll try a 5oz sinker.
I will say though these uptide rods are very strong and I like the look of them.
Yesterday afternoon I got 3 mackys on at the same time and the rod with my abu 6500mag reeled em in with no probs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts