World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to check, Uptiding is when i cast against the tide flow and Downtiding is when i cast with the flow ? I know this may sound a stupid question, but i'm still new to boat fishing, so i thought i'd better check.
What's the advantage uptiding over downtiding, other than from what i understand you use less lead to uptide than downtide, or have i got that wrong ?
I had a go uptiding (i think lol) and got on sort of ok, but it wasn't easy to hold bottom with a 6oz lead, with a bow in the line, i now want to have a try at downtiding (i think).
Anyway, last question, when downtiding, what would be the average sort of size of lead or leads you would look to use ? i realise this could in reality be almost any size, but i don't want to be carrying 40 stone of leads that i might just use one day, not if i can help it :) I make my own leads and want to get some made up, so initially at least i just want to make some regularly used sort of sizes to take.
Cheers.
AL ..

G

·
Uptiding is generally used with weights of around 6oz and is when you cast uptide of the boat. Uptide leads use grip wires to hold bottom
Downtiding the tackle is usually lowered over the side to the bottom and sometimes trotted back away from the boat. Downtide leads can be anything from a couple of ounces to 2-3 lb depending on the tide run and what line you are using. If using braid you can use considerably less weight due to the thinner diameter. Downtide leads have no grip wires.
Unless you are fishing very snaggy ground 2 or 3 of each weight for both up and downtide will do. I would suggest 2 x 5oz uptide, 2 x 6oz uptide and 2 x 8oz uptide. For downtide a couple of each of 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, 12oz and 1lb. If fishing somewhere with a fast tide maybe 1 x 2lb as well.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
al round here i use 8oz most of the time as the tide can be very strong especially on the spring tides i have even used 10 and 12oz on realey big tides, but most stick with 8 oz and you cant go far wrong.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got an adjustable bell mould, so will make up some leads later this week of the sizes recommended.
Thanks a lot for the help.
AL ..

·
Registered
666 Posts
One of the main things I have found is to make sure you let enough line out, to make sure you are pulling your weight a flat as possible to the seabed, just like your anchor if there isn't enough rope out it will drag, its surprising how you will see the bites with such a big bow of line out, especially when using braid, its great when the boat is swinging about at anchor as the rod tip just stays stationary.
Sean,

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
One of the main things I have found is to make sure you let enough line out, to make sure you are pulling your weight a flat as possible to the seabed, just like your anchor if there isn't enough rope out it will drag, its surprising how you will see the bites with such a big bow of line out, especially when using braid, its great when the boat is swinging about at anchor as the rod tip just stays stationary.
Sean,
Are you only writing about uptiding there , Sean ? or both.

by the way you can "uptide" down-tide:- YOU CAN CAST a bit downtide from the boat but still let a big belly of line out to help the grip wires dig in.
You can even do this without casting tackle while downtiding, but with a wired lead.

In that case you must let the bow of line out quickly (continue letting out rapidly after the lead has touched bottom) or the line will lift the lead upwards before there's enough out for the few yards near the lead to be horizontal.
Also if your lead has not gripped you can find it hard to tell if it is on the bottom or kiting about in midwater (you don't have the top end of the belly of line leading out to the side just-a-bit as you do when really uptiding)

and here's a thought:- if the tide makes your end gear kite upwards to be in-line with your rod tip (if the weight isn't heavy enough) why doesn't it make your trace kite downwards if the lead is hard on the seabed - i.e. press it down, to be in-line with that lead ?

Or does it do that, but also make it wave around a bit (and that....rather than lifting off.... is what makes it worse for Cod fishing) ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts