World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you knowledgable folk. A question about uptiding. I have always used what I think is called a running ledger for uptiding where the line is free to run through the swivel used to attach the grip lead. But, reading other posts it looks as if when you are uptiding you are relying on the weight of the lead to set the hook so wouldn't it be better to have the weight fixed to the line, say by using a three-way swivel? Will this assist in hooking more fish all other things being equal?:g:

15,082 Posts
Hi all you knowledgable folk. A question about uptiding. I have always used what I think is called a running ledger for uptiding where the line is free to run through the swivel used to attach the grip lead. But, reading other posts it looks as if when you are uptiding you are relying on the weight of the lead to set the hook so wouldn't it be better to have the weight fixed to the line, say by using a three-way swivel? Will this assist in hooking more fish all other things being equal?:g:
Fish it fixed for the Roker and you will hook far more fish.Infact fishing it fixed while uptiding improves hook ups full stop.

Roker Ron

·
Registered
584 Posts
Fish it fixed for the Roker and you will hook far more fish.Infact fishing it fixed while uptiding improves hook ups full stop.

Roker Ron
Yes Ron, I agree, I use a semi bolt rig, with a swivel each end of a 9" long piece of 40lb mono and a weight swivel/slide running between + a bead either side. Main line attached to one swivel, trace attached to the other, the fish can move the line 9" to register a bite but comes up against the 2nd swivel and the weight. I see a lot of classic drop back (lead released down tide) bites this way as well as more hook ups.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Whats these ere things "fish" you are all talking about? Have I missed out on something? I thought that you spent £20 on bait, £30 on fuel, £6 for a launch, £125 for insurance, to go & sit out in the p**s pouring rain for the hell of it, I didn't realise that you were supposed to catch fish at the same time? doesn't that make a mess in your boat;)
blueskip

·
Banned
3,442 Posts
I have tried using a patenoster rig in the past, without a doubt it is pants. I now always use a running ledger, but wil give the fixed option a bash next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts