World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, as it turns out i've been promised a new uptide rod and reel for Christmas from the missus!! :clap2: Even better, she's also said i can have it early, in time for the cod season! :yeah:

So, i have 99% made my mind up on the rod (probably going to go for the Shimano Beastmaster uptide, after seeing one a friend of mine owns, and i trust his opinion implicitly, and he claims it to be up there with one of the best Uptide rods he's ever owned, including a lot of the high end expensive stuff), but the problem i'm having is choosing the reel....

Myself and 99% of the people i fish with use Swedish made Abu 7000's, but my curiosity is getting the better of me and was interested to see if anyone believed there to be a reel better than the original 7000's for the job at hand???

For the moment, lets just say that budget is irrelevant, to see the full range of opinions..... :fishing1:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Absolutely anything but a new abu they are cra*! Howabout a large fixed spool from penn , i left a thread recently regarding fixed spools on boats and these were highly recommended. A lot of the boat comp guys are now using heavier f/s reels for speed of retreive so if theyre are good enough for them..........

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
For me i use either penn 525mags cos i have the for me bech fiishing or when the big girls arrive i step up to the 535gs these reel are fing bullet proof i have abused my 535's over 10 year and still going strong.

Rod wise have a look at the latest suvervan uptide 5-10oz casting the one with the red flecs in it awesome it's a total bully when needed.

Also has the twist lock butt which is good for me as i fish from a 16.5ft long boat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For me i use either penn 525mags cos i have the for me bech fiishing or when the big girls arrive i step up to the 535gs these reel are fing bullet proof i have abused my 535's over 10 year and still going strong.

Rod wise have a look at the latest suvervan uptide 5-10oz casting the one with the red flecs in it awesome it's a total bully when needed.

Also has the twist lock butt which is good for me as i fish from a 16.5ft long boat.
I second that excellent rod!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I already own a Suveran, but the boat combo version from last year. The newer ones are just a bit stiff for my liking, not enough give in the tip, still, i bet they are a fantastic rod in the right circumstances.

Cheers for all the tips lads, now to start looking around. :bounce:

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Just got my avets from the postman.

I got the sx 5.3 mc for beach fishing. (375 of 15Lb mono)

Now going to order a pair a bit bigger for uptideing!!
Phone Paul at Rok Max and chat to him about what you need. 01872864422

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Saltists are another option to consider :)
Yeah, have actually had a look at saltists (same friend who owns the beastmaster has em), and although them being a lovely reel, he did have a couple of little niggles about them, i think it was something to do with the retrieve ratio being a little too fast. But i can't remember exactly what he said, and i could be wrong. :bangin:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got my avets from the postman.

I got the sx 5.3 mc for beach fishing. (375 of 15Lb mono)

Now going to order a pair a bit bigger for uptideing!!
Phone Paul at Rok Max and chat to him about what you need. 01872864422
Cheers Shirl, i'll do that!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have recently purchased an Avet MXJ 5.8 MC for uptiding.I went for this model because it has very similar line capacity to the Abu 7000.That said the SX range should be more than adequate for uptiding. As already suggested speak to Paul at ROK-MAX he is very helpful.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The Avet SX has ample capacity for uptiding. I've loaded 125 yards of 25lb backing and 300 yards of 30lb braid on a SX 6/4 MC. The actual gear ratios are 6.3:1 in high and 3.8:1 in low.

For uptiding I would recommend going for the MC version which has mag brakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts