World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been looking at the urfe rig recently as a different approach for clean ground fishing but wonder what advantages it has over a running ledger setup?

Cheers

·
Registered
916 Posts
One advantage is you can have up to three hooks on an urfe rig and you can fish with a really long rig some of mine are about 18 ft long a hook on end one in middle and one 2 or 3 ft below lead ,so you can use 3 different baits if you want ,you might not see bites as hooks are other side of lead where as running ledger line runs through lead /lead clip and will show a bite .
So with urfe leave rig out for desired length of time and then reel in , hope this helps it has caught me fish when it seems nothing else will.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One advantage is you can have up to three hooks on an urfe rig and you can fish with a really long rig some of mine are about 18 ft long a hook on end one in middle and one 2 or 3 ft below lead ,so you can use 3 different baits if you want ,you might not see bites as hooks are other side of lead where as running ledger line runs through lead /lead clip and will show a bite .
So with urfe leave rig out for desired length of time and then reel in , hope this helps it has caught me fish when it seems nothing else will.
Thanks for the reply. Could you not use the same long multi hook rig with a running ledger? Might it not cast as well?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Most running ledger rigs are used with one hook or pennel setup,andare not normally that long around3ft to 8ftthis allows the fish to take the bait and run without feeling much ressistance this will then put a bend in rod tip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difference I can see is that the urfe has a fixed lead which must negatively affect bite detection as you say. I'll think I'll try the running ledger with a long trace with a dropper and see how it compares to an urfe. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only difference I can see is that the urfe has a fixed lead which must negatively affect bite detection as you say. I'll think I'll try the running ledger with a long trace with a dropper and see how it compares to an urfe. Thanks again for the info.
Have you had the chance to make a comparison?

I also thought urfe bar would affect bite detection. Was this the case?

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have only used the urf rig once and didnt like it but I would be willing to try it again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you had the chance to make a comparison?

I also thought urfe bar would affect bite detection. Was this the case?

Cheers
No, not really had the chance to make a decent comparison yet. Just one outing where I tried both rigs and had two flounder on the running ledger with a dropper. Both rigs seemed to cast OK and didn't tangle in use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts