World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shore fish with a fixed spool reel from beaches and rockmarks and need some info regarding using Braid Line.
Types of braid makes and strength of line for species or ground would be useful, and is it mainly for spinning...?.....................Thanks in advance WSF.
Coastman:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I always use 10lb braid, but if fishing rocky ground check the line often for faults.

Braid allows you to really feel the lure working, and the type of ground you are fishing over.

I have written about braid there so have a look and see what you think.

Most modern products are very good indeed so you won't go far wrong what ever you choose.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always use 10lb braid, but if fishing rocky ground check the line often for faults.

Braid allows you to really feel the lure working, and the type of ground you are fishing over.

I have written about braid there so have a look and see what you think.

Most modern products are very good indeed so you won't go far wrong what ever you choose.
Thanks Angling,
Will check out the link and will reply with my thoughts and questions.
Cheers mate......................Coastman:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I use 30lb Berkley Whiplash for spinning on my Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM-RA. I don't really fish rough marks, but the stronger braid has helped me get lures back that have become caught in heavy weed. Try using poppers or shallow divers over shallow rocky areas. The Storm chug bug, and Grauvell Poppy are good and so is the Daiwa TD pencil. Also look at the Maria Chase and the Maria Angel kiss bith good shallow lures that work in the top foot of water.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 30lb Berkley Whiplash for spinning on my Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM-RA. I don't really fish rough marks, but the stronger braid has helped me get lures back that have become caught in heavy weed. Try using poppers or shallow divers over shallow rocky areas. The Storm chug bug, and Grauvell Poppy are good and so is the Daiwa TD pencil. Also look at the Maria Chase and the Maria Angel kiss bith good shallow lures that work in the top foot of water.
Cheers Bass-ic- Intinct................info appreciated mate.
Coastman:)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
No problem marra! pleased i could help you. Just a piece of advice, never pull for a break withe braid with the line wrapped around your hand. It will cut very deeply into your skin, carry a 12inch long section of broom handle with you and wrapit around that before you pull for a break.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Dont attach your braid directly to the lure.

Use a few feet of mono tied to the end of the braid as a leader. This will then take the abrasion better and save your braid from getting fraid.

Some like to use flurocarbon for this as its invisible (we are told) in water but amnesia mono is cheap and excellent for the job.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Have a try with the "Search V" button (just aboove your first posting on this subject) and put "braid" or "braids" in as the "show threads" or "show posts" option choose word.
Don't forget to look at one or two other fora (e.g. the"Tackle Discusssion" one and the "Spinning Plug and Fly" one)

You'll find lots about all the different types of braid...and especially about its suitability (or not) for beach/rough-ground fising with bait . . . . and knots to join it to a bylon leader (to take the abrasion and force of casting)

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks People,
Lots of info for me to digest and try out...........:)
Coastman

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Im on fixed spool with 65lb berkley whiplash pro all the way through it is brilliant for beachcasting and fishing rocks, pulls through nearly every snag,superb bite detection and less diametre of good 15lb mono so less tide pull!

give it a try mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts