World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im tacking my brother out this weekend and he normal wets his line in puddle, I was wondering if he could use his carp rod with lite tackle for bass ??
If so what rig to use ??
and any other tips please would be helpful

Cheers Rory
HAPPY HUNTING

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can use a carp rod for bass but only if you float fish .its just like pike fishing so he should be use to it .all it takes for him to get is a small pouting or pollock faling that a nice rag worm .then just find some nice rocks or pier and then enjoy o by the way tell him no need for treble hooks just normal ones will do

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You can use a Carp rod for Bassing close in with bait, quite easily. Helps if it has a softish tip, but anything around 2 1/2lb TC and above will handle them. Just use a simple running ledger rig or something similar.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I use my carp rods for a lot of my bassing and they work just fine - for plugging, bottom and float fishing...

I also use them for mackereling with a shockleader and four ounce weight...:victory:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info guys. Will post a report in the south section on sunday let you know how we got on thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
me and a mate spent an an evening at llandudno wall fishing the bottom with carps rods, got some right odd looks from the guys wearing floatation suits with big beachcasters. guess who got amongst the codling and who didn't:victory:

·
South East Regular
835 Posts
definately no problem there. my dad always uses his, for all types of sea fishing. it isn't fantastic, but if you don't know any difference they will be absolutely fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's gone full circle the alot of the early carp rods were coniflex bass rods blanks!!!

As my tag my says i used the my carp rods all the time if the weed and current allows me, could be as they have all their eyes unlike my beachcasters!!. Even at west beach for the hounds (biggest just over 7lb) it was fun - but you have to know your rods limits. Fishing rivers and big weeded lake you learn what you can get away with (42.02 pb mirror carp).

I'm off later tonight for some bass fishing using big baits and carp rods, so yes the carp rods will work fine and your have some great sport if the sea state allows. It all comes down to the trust you have in the rods and when and where to use them.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My first spinning rod was a carp rod, a shimano specimen rod.
No problem, If a rod is designed to catch 30lb carp then why not a 10lb bass?
Just don't overload it with weight and they make a lovely single spinning rod, with say a toby or alike. If your going to use a lead weight and fish the bottom, don't forget a shockleader. Just watch out on the guides as they tend to be smaller than sea rod guides and don't take kindly to a shockleader knot smashing through them.
Make sure you give it a good wash down when you get home.
My daughter uses the carp rod with a float, nice and light and plenty of feel for a fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts