World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when casting and the weight is about half way through its arc, my main line is not taught between reel and first eye. the line between these points is loose, flapping in the wind kind of.

im using a mag 525 with 15lb standard line. i was out fishing today and i got two nests causing my rig to fall way short. am i stating the obvious by asking if i should use my thumb to feather the reel in order to get rid of this slack line before releasing again so as not to reduce my distance too much?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i appreciate any advice

hello all by the way, been viewing this site for a while now and picked up loads of tips..cheers

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
what Mag setting are you using?
just what i was thinking!!!

for max distance you want the line to peel off the reel at the same rate as the lead, ie. the reel feeds the line, not the lead dragging it all off the spool.

it takes time to learn how our reel behaves, whether fishing or on a court you want to be on the edge, there will be times where the reel is a tad too fast and it all looks like it's gonna go badly wrong, this is usally because of too little mag braking at start, once the lead is at the top of the cast you can begin to back the mags off,

if just fishing for pleasure then you need to decide whether you want to run the reels on the edge of blowing up all the time, or whether you're gonna sacrifice some distance in exchange for less problems.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Try increasing the mag setting so long as you don't slow the reel too much. Beyond that, yes, use your thumb. Gently, line burns, but before the days of mag and centrifugal brakes, that's how it was done. Doesn't pay to be too reliant on technology.

·
Registered
485 Posts
More mag or a heavier oil might be needed as some 525s are a bit fast out of the box.
However if you need to slow the spool down mid flight try to thumb the spools lip instead of the line .Much easier on your thumb

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Hi mate
I run mine with all of the mags fitted, red rocket fuel and the mag slider roughly in the middle of the fast/slow setting, works for me. With a tail wind I will risk it a little faster, but only a bit more towards the fast section on the slidy scale.
All the best

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try the mag settings as mentioned earlier, depending on wind situation or baitsize. Using the thumb in midflight is a bit tricky if you brake it too much the lead will pull the line from the spool too hard, and speeds it up again when you stop breaking, causing major birdsnests. Working on your casting ability is a better option, most of the time these line problems occur when the lead doesn't reach it's optimum speed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
personally I wouldn't use my thumb as I think it causes more problems than its worth. If I was you I would increase the magnets a little bit and work on you technique. As a few times when casting I have heard the reel about to over-run so I have put my thumb on it to slow it down and it just completely messed up the reels speed which caused a big birdie.
Elliot:fishing1:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wasnt expecting such a great response cheers. i went out last night having read feedback. no birds nests for starters which was ace.

i had a play about with casting on diff speed settings and found that the halfway option was ideal (my thirst for too far too soon seems to have been my problem). still using my thumb to feather a little, reluctantly may i add as i do like the distance. worked a treat. you guys are right tho, the reel is mega fast and doesnt half burn the thumb at times when tring to control a bit of slack.

im sure my catsing technique will also improve in time which will also negate this problem further.

anyhoo, i caught myself a flatfish on the groin beach using rag tipped with a little bit mackeral. only weighed about 2lb strong little so and so tho. it was more diamond in shape then the flounders or plaice that i usually catch think maybe it was a halibut but may be wrong.

cheers again for feedback

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also the thought of actually changing mag settings mid flight is something that had not occured to me. cheers crazyplums i will give it a go..

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
also the thought of actually changing mag settings mid flight is something that had not occured to me. cheers crazyplums i will give it a go..
hi dude,

changing settings mid flight isn't really necessary, it's more done on the field when going for all out distance, if i were you i'd get confident with the reel before you begin doing that.

if you insist on doing it then with the reel loaded tape the line down on the spool, then spin it up but whazzing the handle round and knocking the reel into free spool as you do it, on full mags you only want it to spin for about 7-8 seconds max, cast on full mags and oncwe the lead is well away you can slowly push / turn the mags down, too quick and you'll birdie.

like i say though, get confident with the reel first.

Hugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts