World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question,in a emergency would unleaded petrol with a 50/1 ratio 2stroke oil mix work in a 4 stroke outboard which should run on just unleaded petrol?im talkin in worst case scenario.
Cheers

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Cannot see why not,guess somebody will disagree,but in emergency you will do anything to get back,it will oil up the plugs obviously,but so what.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It would work....stink a lot and smoke like hell.

As far as damage it wouldnt really cause lasting effects. Your plugs would need a damn good clean and depending on the length of time its being used on 2stroke but your head might need de-coking after

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
To have a "shot" of Redex with every gallon of petrol to increase & maintain engine performance, cant see how a 2 stroke mix will harm a 4 stroke engine as has been said a bit of smoke & maybe some oil on the plugs but cheaper to correct than throwing it away!;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quick question,in a emergency would unleaded petrol with a 50/1 ratio 2stroke oil mix work in a 4 stroke outboard which should run on just unleaded petrol?im talkin in worst case scenario.
Cheers
I assume you have some already and that you are going to keep in a can for emergency use.

Personally i think if you intend using as an emergency, Why risk it? I would want to be sure that all my emergency equipment whether it be Flares/Radio/Spare fuel was in tip top condition.

How much fuel are we talking about??

Dai

·
Registered
70 Posts
Was thinking the same Alan. If is was me I would carry some spare unleaded and seperate 2 strole oil.... Use the fuel directly if you run out... mix with the oil when needed (if ever)

Kev

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I assume the op has a four stroke main and a 2 stroke aux? Hence the 2 stroke fuel on board?
I was thinking the other way around!! 2 stroke main engine...hence the fuel with oil added. 4 stroke auxilliary...and the need to use the same fuel as his main engine.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
well i have used a 50/1 2 stroke mix once in the lawnmower and ran ok, but you will get a loss of poer compared to unleaded and run the risk of oiling up the plug which some plugs wont like, how ever why not try it at home first and see, but i think should be ok, as its prob only for a aux and keep a new spare plug just incase

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I was thinking the other way around!! 2 stroke main engine...hence the fuel with oil added. 4 stroke auxilliary...and the need to use the same fuel as his main engine.
This is exactly what I have, a two stroke main and 4 stroke aux. Although I plan on having normal unleaded for the aux, I would also use the two stroke mix as an emergency if the small fuel tank on the aux runs dry before I get back in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive got a 2 stroke main and a 4 stroke aux.

I carry both lots of fuel but i was just thinking of a action plan in a emergency if i ran out of all the unleaded and only have the 2 stroke mix left to get me home.

cheers

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
As the 4 stroke is the aux it's going to be a pretty unsophisticated thing with no fancy fuel injection etc, so it will probably run on the petroil no problem - but if you could see a situation where you needed fuel from the main engine, I'd add it when the aux tank is half way down - at least that way the oil in the fuel would be down to half the ratio.

G

·
Not certain about boat engines but, i have run untold things on pre mixed fuel that are not "supposed" to take it, its a load of rubbish that it will damage the engine in any way other than oil the plugs up, i have always ran my mower on it. even cars sometimes !
It will smoke and a good idea to have a spare plug but i would not hesitate to run on it.
I

DONT do it the other way round though (2 stroke without oil), will kill your engine quicker than anything !!!

Rob.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used 2 stroke mix in my car and motor bike from boat so i can put fresh in boat. motor bike is fuel injected won,t do any harm modern 2 stroke oil mix,s in very well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have used 2 stroke mix in my car and motor bike from boat so i can put fresh in boat. motor bike is fuel injected won,t do any harm modern 2 stroke oil mix,s in very well.
Same as Marshman, When we used to come to the end of the season any fuel that was left in the boat tanks used to go straight in the car with no adverse affects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts