World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a great day out at a mark that normally produces close to Utopia.

I picked my boat up from Hayling as it has just gone back in to the water after being out for a few weeks for routine maintenance, so with a decent forecast headed out about 11 miles to my mark, there were a couple of charter boats already anchored when I arrived, but thankfully they were not on my mark.

The Ebb had just started to get away when I anchored and I knew it would be heavy leads for an hour or so, so set up the heavy gear and 1.5lb lead with half a mackerel fillet and if I let line out I could just about hold bottom, but the fish weren't playing ball, I put some feather out close to the surface so they weren't interfering with my other rod and fairly quickly I caught 2 mackerel.

As the tide started to ease I changed the heavy rod for my two Uptider's with 10oz leads and decided to try a whole squid and within minutes the rod was bent as line was stripped off the spool, this fish gave one hell of a fight and at times I just couldn't pump the rod as it was bent well over, eventually it started to come up until I saw the leader and the enormous hound behind it, unfortunately it came off the hook as I was about to net it, but it was close to 20lb.

I wound in the other rod and tried whole squid on that as well and very soon line was being ripped of the spool, another good hound I thought as I started to feel the weight which was even heavier than the previous fish until it all went slack and I wound up a hookless trace as I'd been bitten off, so maybe it was a Tope.

I noticed my mackerel rod was shaking as I had a mackerel on, but before I could pick the rod up it bent right over and line started peeling of the spool, I quickly realised that a Tope had taken the Mackerel and very soon the light line on the feathers snapped, but what ever was on the other end didn't even know it was hooked.

Sport continued for most of the tide and I ended up with around a dozen hounds, 5 tope, a few small conger and thankfully just two doggies, but as soon as the tide turned the fishing stopped as though someone had turned off a switch and I've never known any of the marks out on the Utopia fish on the Flood tide.

It was noticeable that even though I tried crab and fresh mackerel, the only bait the fish would take was whole squid, which is very unusual for tope.

A sea breeze got up in the afternoon making the journey home a little choppy, but it soon calmed down as we approached Portsmouth harbour

A great days fishing with some real rod benders and my arms ache

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just got back from a great day out at a mark that normally produces close to Utopia.

I picked my boat up from Hayling as it has just gone back in to the water after being out for a few weeks for routine maintenance, so with a decent forecast headed out about 11 miles to my mark, there were a couple of charter boats already anchored when I arrived, but thankfully they were not on my mark.

The Ebb had just started to get away when I anchored and I knew it would be heavy leads for an hour or so, so set up the heavy gear and 1.5lb lead with half a mackerel fillet and if I let line out I could just about hold bottom, but the fish weren't playing ball, I put some feather out close to the surface so they weren't interfering with my other rod and fairly quickly I caught 2 mackerel.

As the tide started to ease I changed the heavy rod for my two Uptider's with 10oz leads and decided to try a whole squid and within minutes the rod was bent as line was stripped off the spool, this fish gave one hell of a fight and at times I just couldn't pump the rod as it was bent well over, eventually it started to come up until I eventually saw the leader and the enormous hound behind it, unfortunately it came off the hook as I was about to net it, but it was close to 20lb.

I wound in the other rod and tried whole squid on that as well and very soon line was being ripped of the spool, another good hound I though as I started to feel the weight which was even heavier than the previous fish until it all went slack and I wound up a hookless trace as I'd been bitten off, so maybe it was a Tope.

I noticed my mackerel rod was shaking as I had a mackerel on, but before I could pick the rod up it bent right over and line started peeling of the spool, I quickly realised that a Tope had taken the Mackerel and very soon the light line on the feathers snapped, but what ever was on the other end didn't even know it was hooked.

Sport continued for most of the tide and I ended up with around a dozen hounds, 5 tope, a few small conger and just t doggies, but as soon as the tide turned the fishing stopped as though someone had turned off a switch and I've never know any of the marks out on the Utopia fish on the Flood tide.

It was noticeable that even though I tried crab and fresh mackerel, the only bait the fish would take was whole squid, which is very unusual for tope.

A sea breeze got up in the afternoon making the journey home a been a little choppy, but it soon calmed down as we approached Portsmouth harbour

A great days fishing with some real rod benders and my arms ache

View attachment 1366570 View attachment 1366571 View attachment 1366572 View attachment 1366573 View attachment 1366574 View attachment 1366575 View attachment 1366576
Cracking day, well done 👍

Reactions: Steveh24

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
What a stunning days fishing Steve, mind blowing, huge well done a great bag of fish mate. Well chuffed for you.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great report. Bet its good to be back out there. I'm still in the yard awaiting parts :(
Yes my boat was certainly out of the water longer than expected and not helped when the engine was only running on 3 cylinders when it was put back in the water about 10 days ago because the water separator filter was leaking allowing air in to the system, I ended up having to get another from Germany which took a week, but it's running well now and I will out as and when the weather allows.

I still have a new Lowrance Hook Reveal 9 to fit and I'm buying a new AIS Transponder kit which will hopefully be delivered in around two weeks time.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done Steve! Looks like a great day... I went down the west end of the island, was v foggy and dead apart from doggies...
Were you out around Culver

The visibility in the afternoon was not great and at one point I thought it would turn in to rolling fog banks, but it was about 100m when I started back and with the GPS it was fine, normally I can see the Spinnaker Tower from just about anywhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like a great day and some great pictures 👍🏻 Bit nostalgic seeing the spinnaker as it’s coming up to 2 years since I’ve seen it from the sea with this pandemic limiting me to freshwater since it started

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi Steve, no I went round south of the needles. I long way and v foggy when I got there. Was glad of AIS and radar on the return. It cleared around Hurst Castle.
Yesterday had a plaice and dogfish out east from Gosport. A nice couple of days but cold and not really productive...sometimes wonder if there are any fish at all. No mackerel either day.

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Steve, no I went round south of the needles. I long way and v foggy when I got there. Was glad of AIS and radar on the return. It cleared around Hurst Castle.
Yesterday had a plaice and dogfish out east from Gosport. A nice couple of days but cold and not really productive...sometimes wonder if there are any fish at all. No mackerel either day.
My mate went out past the Needles on Sat and didn't do very well.

Seems to be plenty of fish around the Utopia area and quite a few Mackerel, I know the Charter boys are doing well with the Bream on the Boulder Bank and off Bembridge and there are plenty of Tope and Hounds around, there are even some good hounds coming from Spithead

·
Global Moderator
2,618 Posts
Nice session steve. Looks like you were kept busy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts