World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw John Mason’s report and it prompted me to get my act together and post a report for once.

Left Reading at 17:30 on Thursday 03/04 and arrived at our campsite in Aberdaron just after midnight on Friday.
Had a few hours kip in the motor then put up the tent as soon as it was light.
Flashed up the Coleman stove and had a brew and a bacon and egg breaky, then off to the mark for day one. ( Via the Spar for some scoff - try the Spar pack of 6 mini onion Bhajis - very nice but with quite a spicy aftertaste, so you’ll need a pack of onion rings to take the taste away. It works for me anyway).

DAY 1 FRIDAY
WEATHER - Scorchio…..

Fished our usual mark, which has a lower platform which is great for spinning etc.. when weather allows.
We set up with the usual heavy bottom gear with big baits, then took it in turns to mind the heavy rods whilst the other went spinning.
Nothing much doing on the bottom rods apart from a nice Pollack for myself and a strap Conger for my mate.
A good dozen mackerel on the spinners though, and we could have caught more, but we just needed enough for tomorrows bait and some rubby dubby.
Packed in at about 16:30 and went back to the campsite for a quick wash then off to the Ship for an excellent steak and way too much to drink. :)

DAY 2
WEATHER - Scorchio…..

Woke up with a massive hangover. :giveup:
Flashed up the Coleman stove, had a brew and burnt the bacon and egg breaky,. Didn’t care.
Off to the Spar for some more onion bhajis, some bottles of water and a pack of nuerofen.
Back to the same mark
Nothing much again from the bottom, a couple of dropped straps plus a couple of better fish lost by my mate due to brand new but duff line. (Don’t buy Grauvell Bionix) but more Mackerel on spinners, but again we had to stop catching them once we had enough for the next day.
Bottom fished later into the evening, then back to the tent for some homemade Beef in Red Wine which I’d had defrosting in a coolbox. Then off to the ship etc.... :)

DAY 3
WEATHER - Cloudy & Windy
Back to the same mark again, but no chance of reaching the lower platform due to the increased sea conditions.
Persevered with the bottom baits and had a 12lb Huss in the morning, but nothing else for the remainder of the day.
Again my Mate lost a good fish due to line failure.
Packed up at about 17:00 - Back to the tent for a BBQ then off to the ship for couple of beers.

Left Aberdaron on Monday morning for a seven hour journey home.

All in all a good start to our Aberdaron fishing year. :)
I got to test out my new Okuma Magnetix 30 which coped as well as my Penn 535's.Well pleased with this reel.
My mate had brought along a pair of brand new Penn 535’s which he loaded from a spool of 30lb Grauvell Bionix, bought at the same time.
I’ve never seen line break at the knot so easily as this stuff. Nothing wrong with the knot - we tried everything - Uni knot, grinner etc…all properly lubricated, but it gave way as soon as reasonable pressure was applied.. As soon as he leant into a decent fish , then ping- fish plus trace gone. It happened a few times.
Also got to test out my new Igloo Ice Box. With several bottles of frozen water in the base, plus a couple of bags of ice, it kept our boxes of squid and packs of cuttle & lamprey frozen nicely for the full duration.
The water bottles were still frozen today (Tue) when I cleaned it all out.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Great report (piccies?) Never fished the mark but glad you persevered. Big Huss well done and thanks for the Ice Box tip! Your mate should take the line back for at least a refund if not some compensation! Worth posting on the Tackle Forum to see if this is common with Bionix?

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
nice report.

did you actually fish uwchmymydd or did you fish the rock ledges at abadaron?

i find that too many stick with uwchmymydd when there are lots on other spots near by that can fish better.

did you not try for the pollock and wrasse while there?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice report.

did you actually fish uwchmymydd or did you fish the rock ledges at abadaron?

i find that too many stick with uwchmymydd when there are lots on other spots near by that can fish better.

did you not try for the pollock and wrasse while there?
The mark we fished this time is east of Uwchmynydd, closer to the Pen Y Cil headland. We can see some of the marks around St Mary's Well from where we were.

Didn't specifically try for Pollack or wrasse this time, though we did get a couple of small Pollack on spinners. I've had some of my biggest Pollack from around there later in the year, even in November.

The Pen Y Cil headland is a great mark for Pollack on lures, but the tide absolutely screams past on the ebb. Don't fish there alone.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice report there Sampeg,

I've had exactly the same problem with Grauvell Bionix line.

I loaded it on three reels, and used therm on two sessions.

The line is now stripped off and in the bin. Reckon that's why it's on a 3 for 2 offer??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts