World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alun came around early this morning but I wanted to put off departure to the hallowed ground to allow any light rain that may have fallen from this morning's front to be dried up by the following sunshine, thus preventing the rocks having that "teflon feeling"!

So we probably started fishing at 1330-ish, at high water, and then as the ebb really kicked in we were in the back-eddy between the tide-rip and the rocks.

Apart from when Mr Seal showed up and followed every cast with interest for about an hour just as the ebb was beginning, we had excellent intense activity as shoals of mackerel, pollack, coalies and launce circulated around.

Nothing very big on the pollack-front: 2lb at most the max. I tried all sorts to try and get a better one from those heavy dex wedges they're now selling to shads, leadhead jellyworms etc. Not a take. Those gold tinsel feathers dressed to gold coloured hooks by Fladen were all that the fish were attacking.

Float-fishing was a dismal failure as the wind shifted to a fairly stiff SW erly, which dragged the floats and gear into shallower water where snagging occurred. However, I got the chance to try a very big float, made from the bright orange ball-**** out of my bog - it broke so I had a new one but kept the float - this will cast well with 3-4 oz of lead under it and is still easily visible at say 30-50m out, where I fished a live launce at 10m depth. Great if it doesn't end up in the shallower ground after 5 minutes - which it did LOL! Try it - in an offshore wind!

So in between experimenting with all sorts, those gold tinsels produced for me:

36 mackerel to 1.5lbs (plus numerous escapees)
15 pollack to 2lbs
6 coalies - all small
3 launce - in the bait freezer :)

Alun persevered more on the float to no avail, but had a fair few fish on the feathers I lent him after!

We gave up in the end as the mackerel were dominating things. You cannot shake them off the hooks if they're going to bounce down from ledge to ledge before they hit the sea, handling them's no good and they were everywhere. After 4 hours we decided to go, and the yomp back up with close on a stone and a half of mackies (minus heads & innards) in my rucksack was hard going - Cardiac Hill is well named!

Those gold feathers though - I've seen this boat-fishing out of Aberystwyth too - for some reason - around here - they are absolute killers! They must look like small sandeels coming along through the tide or something - I do wonder what fry they look closely like, because in certain areas they are deadly for all predators.

I remember unsuccessfully feathering down at Mwnt near Cardigan, ages ago, when an old boy turned up. He was unimpressed by what I was using, and gave me a most unlikely set of feathers - with white flex cable in 1-inch lengths on the hooks. As soon as I started with these it was straight in every time.

I know trout fishermen are very particular about which flies for which waters etc - but at sea I get the impression the same thing applies.....

Cheers - (knackered) John

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Great report John, only ever fished there once and caught a ballan wrasse and corkwing wrasse, it was hard work walking back up the hill .........

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great report John, only ever fished there once and caught a ballan wrasse and corkwing wrasse, it was hard work walking back up the hill .........
Forgot to mention - we tried wrassing but only had some old lug & mussel - no interest. Should have brung a few peelers!

I think the tide where we were was only good to fish for predators, it was that fast.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice report John,

Love fishing down that way, top sport to be had isnt there.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice report mate.
Impressed with the recycling of the wc :clap3:
Stampy..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great report John and thanks for reminding us about the "teflon factor"

I think I've posted about this before, but it's worth reminding people that regardless of the weather, if the rocks are wet then they are potentially lethal.

I really do worry about people who might read posts about the excellent fishing that can be had from these marks, but are not equiped with the relevant H & S information to ensure a trouble free session.

We've "developed" a solution to the teflon factor issue - I'll post later about that....

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great report John and thanks for reminding us about the "teflon factor"

I think I've posted about this before, but it's worth reminding people that regardless of the weather, if the rocks are wet then they are potentially lethal.

I really do worry about people who might read posts about the excellent fishing that can be had from these marks, but are not equiped with the relevant H & S information to ensure a trouble free session.

We've "developed" a solution to the teflon factor issue - I'll post later about that....

That sounds interesting Sam!

I used to have some waders with tungsten studs that would grip on slimy river boulders OK. I wonder how a pair of para-boots with these fitted might do?

Personally, I would strictly steer clear of these marks unless the weather is bone-dry and guaranteed to remain so. It only takes a 10ft fall to kill yourself if you land awkwardly, and as for falling in - it's a 5-knot tide. Doesn't take much imagination as to the outcome!

Worth reading Mike Thrussell's rock fishing safety notes once the main site is relaunched. A couple of the marks here aren't too bad, such as the one nearest the car-park, but there are some others I want to fish and for which I would definitely want to be attached to a good rope, fixed to a bombproof belay, like a big no. 12 Hex jammed into one of the deep cracks further up the crag. Luckily although I gave up serious rock-climbing some years ago I've kept a lot of the hardware!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
180 Posts
That sounds interesting Sam!

I used to have some waders with tungsten studs that would grip on slimy river boulders OK. I wonder how a pair of para-boots with these fitted might do?

Personally, I would strictly steer clear of these marks unless the weather is bone-dry and guaranteed to remain so. It only takes a 10ft fall to kill yourself if you land awkwardly, and as for falling in - it's a 5-knot tide. Doesn't take much imagination as to the outcome!

Worth reading Mike Thrussell's rock fishing safety notes once the main site is relaunched. A couple of the marks here aren't too bad, such as the one nearest the car-park, but there are some others I want to fish and for which I would definitely want to be attached to a good rope, fixed to a bombproof belay, like a big no. 12 Hex jammed into one of the deep cracks further up the crag. Luckily although I gave up serious rock-climbing some years ago I've kept a lot of the hardware!

Cheers - John

Yep John, your along the right lines as regards the tungsten studs for grip.
We tried using the zinc plated studs from Veals mail order. (Have gone through a few hundred now as part of this "research")
The problem we found was that due to the nature of the rock (which is mostly igneous or metamorphic - i.e. rough and untidy as buggery- not flat) your ankles are twisting constantly all the time, which in turn rips the bloody studs out. Aralditing them in doesn't work either.

That said what we’ve been working on is a solution to be able to get off the rocks safely should it start raining whilst you're on them. (The Lleyn makes it's own weather up sometimes- you can't always trust the weather forecast)

It's not a solution to enable you to go fishing there in the rain.

Your advise to stay clear in the wet still stands.

I'll try to post later (tomorrow at earliest) with some more safety info.

If youre up there in July I'll show you a couple of places where your rock climbing hardware will come in handy. Not too tricky - bring shark traces.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i used to fish the area a lot when i was younger, read recently that its a 15min decent (st mary`s well), shame they dont tell you about the backclimb, my son said to me recently comeon dad, dont worry bout commin back i will carry your gear, my reply was yeah ok whos gonna carry me, couple of knackered lungs unfortunatly stops me showing him were i used to have loads of fun

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If youre up there in July I'll show you a couple of places where your rock climbing hardware will come in handy. Not too tricky - bring shark traces.
Keep me posted on this Sam!

I have a static 40m caving rope but it's a bit ropey if you'll excuse the pun! I am tempted to upgrade!

It's better stuff than dynamic climbing-rope though as it doesn't stretch like mad when you slip - just keeps you there instead of dangling you!

Wondering if my old Paul Kerry Supercast rod would do the job if I stuck a Mitchell 624 loaded with 50lb mono to it?

Cheers - John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts