World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Looking for a pair of good all round 13/14 beach casters that don't break the bank, looking to pay less than 80 for each. I will be using fixed spool reels but may change over to a multiplier at some point.

Have done a fair bit of research but the ones I decide on (after reading though forums) have all been discontinued, like the Leeda assassin for example.

Have been considering the daiwa d surf, does anyone have any suggestions/advice.

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, going to steer clear of sonik I think as I have read a few threads saying they are prone to snapping. Have you had experience with this rod?

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
You think you've read or you have read.
Maybe around 6 years ago a couple snapped but if your leaving that as your judgement you better eliminate just about every rod. At the end of the day your paying bottom dollar price so your going to get a bottom dollar rod. Sonik happen to be one of the best in this bracket. Only other option would be go second hand

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
EVEN THE VERY BEST SNAP, been to a lot of tournaments where rods get really used, in 16 years i seen 1 Zziplex and 1 Century snap. so a couple of Soniks aint to bad.

The Imax fr range are good, bit more than your budget but might last a bit longer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe around 6 years ago a couple snapped but if your leaving that as your judgement you better eliminate just about every rod. At the end of the day your paying bottom dollar price so your going to get a bottom dollar rod. Sonik happen to be one of the best in this bracket. Only other option would be go second hand
Sorry, bad grammar. It was just something I read on a different WSF post (it was quite an old post). Cheers for your input mate.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Sorry, bad grammar. It was just something I read on a different WSF post (it was quite an old post). Cheers for your input mate.
No probs don't look to much in to what your read as you'll soon find out a lot of guys talk mince, I remember people posting about the original HTO lrf rods snapping but what they didn't tell you was their line was wrapped around the tip before they cast blameing the rod rather than themselves. At the end of the day go with your own thoughts there isn't really much to choose at that budget but three or four now have said sonik so that tells you a story. Another Rod to look at is the Penn powerstix pro although you would need to go second hand. Fishingmad26 has one for sale

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
totally agree with the above..a rod will snap regardless to price..guy on here snapped a gravity surf first cast..a century at the butt in the casting section..what most of them fail to mention tho is the way they casted it..always the rods fault and never a dodgy cast :-d..the early sonic got a rep for snapping but think that's on a different blank now so shold be good...the cheaper tronixpro road cracks inside the tip but then others have use them fine...just because a road says it will throw a 250 weight doesn't always mean it will...start low and work up to a point where you and the rod are happy with the weight...a large bait weighs more than a single worm...good luck with your choice

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wouldn't say 80 quid is bottom dollar price and rod. a Shakespeare beta beach for 7.99 is a bottom dollar price and rod. For 80 you should be able to pick up something semi decent

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hey Singi,

Check out the Leeda Icon MPR (multi purpose rod) M/FS (takes multi or fixed spool).

Very close to your budget, the rod has a lovely feel in the hand and my local tackle shop let me take one for a test drive, effortless with 4’s and 5’s and the nicest sub £100 rod I have played with…close in feel and action to a Conoflex source estuary match.

Well worth a look.

·
Registered
263 Posts
totally agree with the above..a rod will snap regardless to price..guy on here snapped a gravity surf first cast..a century at the butt in the casting section..what most of them fail to mention tho is the way they casted it..always the rods fault and never a dodgy cast :-d..the early sonic got a rep for snapping but think that's on a different blank now so shold be good...the cheaper tronixpro road cracks inside the tip but then others have use them fine...just because a road says it will throw a 250 weight doesn't always mean it will...start low and work up to a point where you and the rod are happy with the weight...a large bait weighs more than a single worm...good luck with your choice
I snapped a gravity surf first cast and all I did was a gentle overhead cast with a 5oz lead just to get the feel of the new rod. middle section snapped. shortest beach session I've ever had as I only took the one Rod!

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Hey Singi,

Check out the Leeda Icon MPR (multi purpose rod) M/FS (takes multi or fixed spool).

Very close to your budget, the rod has a lovely feel in the hand and my local tackle shop let me take one for a test drive, effortless with 4’s and 5’s and the nicest sub £100 rod I have played with…close in feel and action to a Conoflex source estuary match.

Well worth a look.
Hi mate are these rung with the same fragile guides that are on the more expensive leeda icons?

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I wouldn't say 80 quid is bottom dollar price and rod. a Shakespeare beta beach for 7.99 is a bottom dollar price and rod. For 80 you should be able to pick up something semi decent
Less than £80 is bottom dollar by any ones standard

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Hi mate are these rung with the same fragile guides that are on the more expensive leeda icons?
Hey fella, well the spec says SIC lined guides for the MPR, my local is now out of stock but have more on order…I will have a closer look in due course as they have all the icons on the rack though not personally aware of major problems with icon rings (could be some user error going on).

If you specifically want a rod with fragile rings then look no further than the Shakespeare Agility range.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Hey fella, well the spec says SIC lined guides for the MPR, my local is now out of stock but have more on order…I will have a closer look in due course as they have all the icons on the rack though not personally aware of major problems with icon rings (could be some user error going on).

If you specifically want a rod with fragile rings then look no further than the Shakespeare Agility range.
Hi mate no I don't want a rod with fragile rings (who the hell would) lol alot of people say the leeda icon range of rings are very fragile and prone to snapping I just wondered if the rings on the leeda icon mpr are the same

·
Registered
236 Posts
As long as you aren't a tackle tart take a good look at the Shakespeare range. I use two Agility 14ft MX, I also use a Leeda M Sport Ultra; never had a problem with fragile eyes. I guess it's all down to how much care you take of your gear.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts