World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the posts about cod liver oil, and a long time ago, posts about pigs liver as bait.

Has anyone ever tried using blood (pigs, cows etc) as an attractant?

As they say, sharks can detect blood at tiny doses such as one part per million - so are other predator fish also as excited as shark at the scent of blood. I guess tope would be - but do bass, cod etc also apply.

If you can find a supplier for it, it would be easy to soak it into a sponge and bung it in a swim feeder or something.

Any thoughts or experiences?????

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Lewisteh, used to use this regularly, (I had a mate who worked in the abbatoir) we used to let a hession sack full of offal down on the anchor rope, but it only attracted the **** species, conger, huss , growlers, RAYS!!!! I think their presence put off any "decent" species! It was very much like a Tuesday morning here, you put your rubbish out, & along come the "Bin Men".
blueskip

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Blueskip

The blood trail could put off some of the fish we want, as they would know the mean killers were about.

However, in Aberdeenshire, we get no dogs, no huss, no rays and only a few conger - so maybe the rules will be slightly different from down your way.

Maybe I'll have to get some blood as a research project.

Thanks for the reply Blue

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Before the adventof AIDS I used to be able to get expired human blood, i used to drip a few pints over the back of the boat when I was after tope. Brilliant stuff.

I now use the guts from lug that I have dug collected in 2 litre bottles and frozen down. As it thaws it puts a cracking trail into the water.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys, your replies are encouraging. I am going to pay a visit to the nearest abbatoir, and see if they can supply some blood - maybe mix it with some pilchard oil the day before and see how I get on.

Probably wait till October though, when at least I know some bigger cod will be in the area.

I will be fishing from rocks, so I will try a swim feeder and/or sponge method.

Thanks again

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts