World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lampery fish also known as the vampire fish is been found in are rivers. Just like to hear some of you's guys thoughts.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
They have sucker mouths and feed by rasping away the skin of other fishes and eating their flesh.
Their presence in rivers indicates clean water.
Anglers are unlikely to catch them as they don't have a proper mouth. (jawless fishes of the superclass Agnatha).
They have been around for a while as legend has it that king Henry I died from eating too many of them.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
According to the Aberdeen Bestiary, a 12th-century compendium of animals, "lampreys… are of the female sex only and conceive from intercourse with snakes; as a result, fishermen catch it by calling it with a snake's hiss".

Lampreys were often cooked in their own blood, with copious amounts of wine

The bestiary also warns would-be lamprey hunters that the fish are tricky to kill. "You need to beat it repeatedly with a stick. It is a fact that the life-spirit of the lamprey is its tail, for when it is beaten on the head, it is difficult to kill; but when it is beaten on the tail, it dies at once."

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the Aberdeen Bestiary, a 12th-century compendium of animals, "lampreys… are of the female sex only and conceive from intercourse with snakes; as a result, fishermen catch it by calling it with a snake's hiss".

Lampreys were often cooked in their own blood, with copious amounts of wine

The bestiary also warns would-be lamprey hunters that the fish are tricky to kill. "You need to beat it repeatedly with a stick. It is a fact that the life-spirit of the lamprey is its tail, for when it is beaten on the head, it is difficult to kill; but when it is beaten on the tail, it dies at once."
I'm sure seen the bloke off river monster catching them on a water fall or somethink sure it's the same fish. So how do you think they started to show back up in river tyne and tees.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have sucker mouths and feed by rasping away the skin of other fishes and eating their flesh.
Their presence in rivers indicates clean water.
Anglers are unlikely to catch them as they don't have a proper mouth. (jawless fishes of the superclass Agnatha).
They have been around for a while as legend has it that king Henry I died from eating too many of them.
I'm sure that bloke on river monster was catchen them how do you think they've started turning up in rivers all of sudden ?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have always been in our rivers. I caught brook lampreys by hand when I was a kid in the river Esk.

As I said, when rivers get cleaner, more species will show up. We might get a return of the sturgeon soon.
That will certainly pull your string!
Thanks phil the Tyne is really clean now,surposed be one the best salmon rivers in England probably second to the tweed.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
I'm sure seen the bloke off river monster catching them on a water fall or somethink sure it's the same fish. So how do you think they started to show back up in river tyne and tees.
Think I remember that episode of river monsters, he had to go go underwater and hold his breath for ages and put his hand in a holes d let them suck onto his hand. Weird looking fish lol

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I remember that episode of river monsters, he had to go go underwater and hold his breath for ages and put his hand in a holes d let them suck onto his hand. Weird looking fish lol
Seen Afew mad ones with him in it, wouldn't be me like big leeches lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Recall foul hooking a largish one at mouth of Spey when spinning for sea trout- thought some kind of eel until saw the front end

C

·
0 Posts
I've caught whiting and codling with lampreys attached to them a few years ago when fishing from Gasworks Beach at Minehead.
Disgusting primitive creatures, I caught other fish with the distinctive circular patch eaten from them.

IMG_0067.JPG

lamprey.JPG

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
I was fishing the Trent for Barbel a couple of wewks ago, another angler mentioned catching a six pound Lamprey the week before, from the same swim... I think they are horrible things.
A six pounder must be a huge Lamprey..

They are a good bait for Tope, they are very bloody species, and even when frozen , on thawing give off lots of blood and scent... Pike seem to like them as well.

I dont :confused:

Dave

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
They've been in our rivers for eons. I've seen a couple caught at Tewkesbury on the Severn... I wouldn't have believed it possible until I saw it first hand but you can catch them on spinners in the fast, shallow water below the weir... horrible things!

Good bait though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have seen a small brook lamprey in the weir on the tone in the middle of Taunton. Wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Caught many pike on lamprey bait. They've always been in our rivers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was working at John Robertsons Fishing Tackle in Newcastle back in 1995, when I was 16. Some bloke came in one Saturday morning and pulled one out of a carrier bag and slapped it on the counter. He wanted to know what it was. It was caught in the Derwent, the stretch behind Blaydon Rugby Club. I have also caught Grayling from the same stretch around 8 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts