World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rightio, I’ve been trolling (not in a bad way) to try and make sense / get info about fishing venues along Chesil.

I know there are several options but I was hoping to write down a few below and if anyone would like to flesh them out at all, it may prove useful to all those looking for venue advice as I have been these past few weeks.

By all means tell me where I’m wrong, if anything I can use it as a reference point, save me scrolling though loads of different threads to get snippets of info.

So to begin going West to East (shallow(ish) to deep);

West Bay – You can park a various places around West Bay. Lots and Lost of foot fall during the day. Probably easier at night. You can fish the piers/breakwaters and beach fishing on to mixed ground. Catching your standard Chesil array.

Burton Bradstock – Only fish at night! The beach is plagued with tourists, though the café is quite good (albeit expensive). There's a big car park and a field you can park in, and walk straight down to the beach. Fishing a small shingled beach. Heading right from the car park once on the beach you will be casting on to rocky ground, straight down and left the beach is less snaggy. Standard Chesil fishies

Cogden – Parking in a national trust car park, pay on the meter, down a fairly steep slope to the beach. Take about 10 minutes. Fishing a small(ish) shingled beach, casting on to flat ground. The beach is quite shallow, but does product quite a few flat species as well as the standard Chesil fishies!

West Bexington – Parking in a lovely tarmacked car park. Pay on the meter. Again a shingled beach though bigger than Cogden. The water starts to become a fair bit deeper here. Can catch anything Chesil is capable of throwing up (maybe not wrasse?).

East Bexington – Apparently you can “park on the verge”. I’ve walked Burton Road, I’m not sure you can anymore, otherwise this is a long walk! Still, I may be wrong, a quieter venue, producing standard Chesil fish.

Abbottsbury – Parking in the car park. Pay the chaps who are there, when they are there. Most of us know what this place is like. Also, like walking on marbles. Water is quite deep straight off and can produce anything on its day. People tend to favour fishing up towards the “Dragon’s Teeth”. The massive concrete blocks towards the end of the fleet. Can’t say if it produces more than the rest of the beach, not fished it enough.

Places along the beach side of the fleet? Absolutely no idea!

Langton Herring (Near West Fleet on the Google Maps) - Fishing into deep water here and an incredibly long walk, but if you can get there by row boat it would be more manageable. Never fished it, but as the comment below suggest, there is no longer a wreck here.

Bridging Camp (Portland end) – Fishing into deep water here. Also another long walk.

Ferry Bridge – Never fished it. But the tide is supposed to rip through under the bridge. Can produce schoolies and wrasse. I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that sometimes this area has been netted. I’m probably wrong.

Chesil Beach Centre – Again fishing into deep water here. Is there wreck near here too, something about 3rd lamppost on the right (and straight on til’ morning – Peter Pan reference there…)? Parking at the Chesil Beach centre - Costs several fortunes.

Chesil Cove – Parking in the Masonic Car Park. Pay on the meter. You may be able to find some free parking on the street closer to the cove. This is the bay before Portland starts – Fishing into very deep and very snaggy water here. A favourite amongst divers, especially in the summer months. The ground is supposed to be clearer roughly 200m (in line with the Cove House inn) from Portland, any closer than that and expect to lose tackle.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Would be really useful to learn more about all of these place above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally, I would avoid Burton Bradstock (signposted to Hive Beach). It is National Trust, so fairly expensive parking and it gets rammed with families swimming and pick nicking in good weather in the summer - but you could walk to the left for a couple of hundred yards and find plenty of space.

Don't think parking on the verge at East Bexington is a good idea. It is a single track road with a few passing laybys and little in the way of verge to park on.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There is no wreck at the bridging camp it is at Langton herring and is a very long walk most people use a row boat to get there

C

·
0 Posts
I think its a pretty good summary..... if you are heading down then have a clear target and a plan. Chesil has been fishing fairly poorly for the last few weeks but there are signs its picking up. I would ask at the shops or on here just before you come down about specific species and where to target them. This warmer weather this week does mean that the baitfish are at last starting to turn up we are going to see the arrival of some of the summer species......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its a pretty good summary..... if you are heading down then have a clear target and a plan. Chesil has been fishing fairly poorly for the last few weeks but there are signs its picking up. I would ask at the shops or on here just before you come down about specific species and where to target them. This warmer weather this week does mean that the baitfish are at last starting to turn up we are going to see the arrival of some of the summer species......
Cue a hundreds threads about Mackerel...

"Are the Mackerel in yet?"

Personally I've never caught a Trigger fish or a Garfish, so would like to have a bash for them this year!

C

·
0 Posts
Garfish were there yesterday evening at West bay in numbers, harbour wall light rod and a float with size 4 hook and fishy bait of some description. Plenty of them about..... Trigger fish very hard to target on one visit..... probably best bet is the Adelaide wreck at Ferrybridge or down into the cove in August...... check out videos online. There were a few in 2015 but did not hear of a single trigger in 2016.
Fishing tails put a decent "how to catch trigger fish video up in 2016 have a trawl on youtube......

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is something I have been thinking about to for next year. I live in North Kent so one heck of a drive. I have been watching a few YouTube videos and the beach at Chesil varies from packed to empty. I assume this depends on how far one is prepared to walk. I see most anglers seem to take a rucksack.

As I am no longer very mobile and have back problems I am thinking I would need to invest in a Tronixpro trolley with the large sand wheels before even contemplating a trip to Chesil.

Any comments on the suitability of the trolley and also the best time\place for a new visitor to Chesil? Cheers

C

·
0 Posts
Its amazing how ancient threads come back to life..... the trolley you mention does work on West Chesil to the middle (Abbotsbury ) but dont try it down the Ferrybridge (East) end you will end up chasing it down the other side.
Easiest place for you to find space and take full advantage of your trolley is park in the main Abbo car park and go West down the burton road.
Dont load the trolley too much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for that - very helpful.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Caught my one and only trigger fish at West Bex about 20 years ago. Like the guy above I now have mobility issues and plan to visit West Bay In 2018 to float fish on the eastern arm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts