1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NORTH SEA CANOEISTS RESCUED BY FISHING BOAT
ANDREW HAMILTON

08:50 - 09 May 2007

Two men were rescued by a passing fishing boat after their canoes capsized north of Fraserburgh last night.

One man was later airlifted by RAF Sea King helicopter from Lossiemouth and taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

One was said to be suffering from the effects of the cold, while the other was "up and walking" as soon as he was ashore.

The incident occurred shortly before 9pm just outside the harbour of Sandhaven, near Fraserburgh, when both the men are understood to have capsized.

By chance, a small fishing boat believed to be from Stonehaven was passing, and the crew were able to pull the pair on board and take them to shore.

The Fraserburgh lifeboat crew, with Fraserburgh and Peterhead coastguard teams, also arrived at the scene to provide assistance.

Charlie Duffy, operations manger for Fraserburgh lifeboat, said: "It has been an awful cold day out here today, so I'm not sure what they were doing on the water at that time, but the main thing is they were found.

"I don't know exactly what happened, but it appears a little fishing boat was there to pick them up, and my crew went out directly."

An Aberdeen Coastguard spokesman added: "It appears the men were taken ashore and attended to by the ambulance crew, and one of them was up and walking."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts