World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time out (January) on my way back in I hit something under the surface & took some big lumps out of my prop, so I sent it off to be repaired & when it came back I put it back on the engine & thought no more about it. Last week I was preparing the boat to go out & as I lowered the engine the prop barely touched the top of my garden wall, but when I checked it for damage the tip of one blade was bent over at 45 degrees, & I bent it back WITH MY FINGERS! That is how thin the tips of the blades are! If anybody else sends their prop away for refurbishing (to a well known prop refurbisher) check the thickness of the tip of the blades when it comes back, I certainly hope I dont hit anything else with this refurbished prop or I think I will be rowing home!:doh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought when something, anything goes in for refurbishing it should be returned in a like new condition. I know its been a while since the repair, but I would explain it to them and ask if they think this is normal for one of there refurbished props.

It sounds like they have just hammered the metal and spread it out too thinly. Instead of welding in more metel to fill in the missing chunks.

Give them a ring, maybe the new lad was un-supervised that day.

G

·
I would think that as soon as that prop is under power you will lose chunks of it with the forces exerted on it. I would certainly question it with the company that refurbished it.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Guess you are talking about Steel D+++++nts,sent my prop there,same story,from memory £50 + Post blades so thin i was able to bend them,i had to dump it,lucky enough a member on here had a Stainless one.You can sing there praises,but for me thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Friend of mine just got his prop back from Casle Marine in Caernarfon,a large prop with a piece out ,came back looking like a new prop welded balanced primed and re-sprayed,all for £85.00 can be recomended.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Ive used that company a few times over the years Vic. I am shocked to read that others think something sinister about them. I hope that's not true. Call me cynical but is there any way that somebody could have swopped your prop - (stolen it) and replaced it with a dodgy one? Or is it still shiny painted as when you got it back? I'm only thinking this because you havn't used it since January and if you never checked it, you would never know?

I will read this thread with interest as my Propellor needs refurbishing and I will be using the same company. Unless that is - something puts me off them!

Regards

Harry

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Ive used that company a few times over the years Vic. I am shocked to read that others think something sinister about them. I hope that's not true. Call me cynical but is there any way that somebody could have swopped your prop - (stolen it) and replaced it with a dodgy one? Or is it still shiny painted as when you got it back? I'm only thinking this because you havn't used it since January and if you never checked it, you would never know?

I will read this thread with interest as my Propellor needs refurbishing and I will be using the same company. Unless that is - something puts me off them!

Regards

Harry
I have also used Steel Developments myself a few times (although not for a good few years now) & actually reccommended them to Vic for his repair.
I personally have not had a problem with their work.

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its still shiny & painted seeing as its only been put back on & never been run, I will take a couple of photos of my refurbished prop & one that I bought off a member on here (but it didn't fit) the thickness of the blades is very noticeable. Maybe somebody sent me the wrong prop in return, maybe I got somebody else's, whatever I aint very happy & now that I have noticed it I will be asking the refurbishers a few questions. That's the trouble when you try to get something refitted quickly on a typical "summers day" in between the showers!:sneaky2: I never mentioned any company name in my post so lets not confuse the issue of an unsatisfactory job, with a slagging match on who has had what done & when shall we?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately they are not as well focused as I would like, suffice to say that the black (refurbished) prop blade edges are SIGNIFICANTLY thinner than those on the white one, in fact in places they are like knife blades. I will be contacting the company with my observations & I will be looking to see if I can fit the white one, I dont feel at all happy or confident in the refurbished one any more:sneaky2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I couldn't make the picture out at first, but then read the text. Yes, I agree with you Vic - that is one very thin edge compared to the white one! To be honest, Ive no idea how this could be. Maybe your right that you received the wrong one which is much thinner than you one you sent back. If they knock out several of the same prop on the same day, it is highly likely that they did them in the same refurb batch and it never ocured to them that one was thinner.

Cheers

Harry

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
& provided the prop I got back had been the same as my original & up to the same spec, I wouldn't have cared if it had belonged to Peter Sutcliffe as long as it was "fit for purpose" but I am pretty sure that being as thin as it is (like a knife blade) even normal use is going to affect it as Cascars said. I will contact then & ask them for their observations & see what they are prepared to do about it, in the meantime the white one will be made to fit. :marinheir:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
& provided the prop I got back had been the same as my original & up to the same spec, I wouldn't have cared if it had belonged to Peter Sutcliffe as long as it was "fit for purpose" but I am pretty sure that being as thin as it is (like a knife blade) even normal use is going to affect it as Cascars said. I will contact then & ask them for their observations & see what they are prepared to do about it, in the meantime the white one will be made to fit. :marinheir:
What difference does it make Vic ?
Cleaveage dosen"t leave the drive nowadays does she :bleh:

headlight

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
i think the props nackered blueskip and be very wary using it as terry has said it could explode iv had the same probs in the past so ditched the ally and went for stainless steel

G

·
I have been told by someone not on this forum that it is not unusual to get a different prop returned when they have been sent off for a refurb, as stated, shouldnt be a problem if the one you get is ''refurbed''

But, that is too thin and will give problems under power. i for one wouldnt use it.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What difference does it make Vic ?
Cleaveage dosen"t leave the drive nowadays does she :bleh:

headlight
I cant with a "Tissue Paper Prop" I will fit the white one without a washer behind the nut as long as I can get the split pin through, just as well I dont have any spark isn't it!:bangin:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I cant with a "Tissue Paper Prop" I will fit the white one without a washer behind the nut as long as I can get the split pin through, just as well I dont have any spark isn't it!:bangin:
New engine ???????
New boat ???????
New engine & boat ??????

headlight

1 - 18 of 18 Posts