World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have recently replaced the battery in the boat from a 75mah to a 110mah, the old battery used to sit at around 13volts and go up to 15 when under charge from the outboard, new one is more like 12-14v. everything seems to be working perfectly except the vhf which when transmitting on high power cuts out due to low battery, unless the engine is running. Has anyone any ideas on what I should try? The "new" battery seems to be in good shape just seems a bit less eager than the smaller one if you know what I mean?

THanks

Ryan

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Check your connections on the battery, clean them back to bright metal and put a smear of Vasseline on both posts and connectors. Let us know how that goes, more ideas but try that first.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi MarieK,

Generally speaking, the voltage on a fully charged battery in good condition, should be 12.7v. As the battery is used the voltage obviously drops i.e. 50% charge = 12.06v, reducing to 10% = 11.31v. In theory any apparatus connected to the battery should continue to operate up until this point. From then onwards problems will occur.

The voltage of a battery under charge will initally start at 10.5v - 15v depending on the state of the battery. There is no correct voltage when charging, it all depends on the state of the wiring. After a few hours the voltage should read anything between 13.8 and 15.5 volts. On full charge the voltage steadies itself and should remain between 12.8 - 13.8v maximum.

The capacity of the battery makes no difference to the power output, it just lasts a little longer.

As ChrisP has said, first and foremost, "Check your connections". If the problem persists, the next step would be to increase the cable size from either the fuse box to the socket or from the socket to the appliance, or both.

I am almost certain the the latter will cure your problem.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts