World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the direction of someone /where i can get a vhf course done at fairly short notice, i have just bought a boat and want to get the licnce sorted asap, ideally i am in bedford so the closer the better but i appreciate not that many do it round these parts and the ones i have found are months away ! so i would travel within reason, south coast (dover to newhaven)or east coast, norfolk/suffolk area, also if anyone has any tips on the course will be gratefully received.
Regards, Rob.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i cant help with local course providers, try the rya for all local companies, but it is a simple course with most providers only to happy to pass those with the basic grasp of the important principles

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
if anyone has any tips on the course will be gratefully received.
It's run on the basis of no previous knowledge, so the only tip really is to stay awake! - I think it'd be very rare for a course where not everyone passes - the idea is to encourage radio usage. Knowing the phonetic alphabet beforehand will help though, and if you want to practice making Mayday call, there's a 'game' on this site... click 'sportsfishing' then the drop down menu from 'navigate' down to 'emergencies' and across to 'vhf' - a 'mayday call' button then appears in the left hand margin.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Could try www.harwellcharters.co.uk which includes sea training sussex
both based at Sovereign harbour / Eastbourne,next radio course advertised is 28th Aug .Give them a call they may have a space on 1 sooner not on the website.I did my PB level 2 with them and wished i did my vhf there as well.Mark owns/does the training side of things and has many years service with the RNLI so your in sound hands.:thumbs:

Ian

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Lock up your Sidewinders and Ball Leads, Robs got a Boat!!!

Not sure where to do it round your way Rob but the course itself is a doddle, i had to do mine surrounded by 3 gorgeous women and practically took no notice of the course at all, but still passed! Rob

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lock up your Sidewinders and Ball Leads, Robs got a Boat!!!

Not sure where to do it round your way Rob but the course itself is a doddle, i had to do mine surrounded by 3 gorgeous women and practically took no notice of the course at all, but still passed! Rob

LOL, Where was the course you done Rob? sounds like a great day out !!!!! Forget the sidewinders, i like catching them sand eels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i may have a course sorted now in ipswich, (Thanks to a reply off here) 65 quid and 25 quid for the licence, he can get me in for it during the next week coming so happy days.
just to say thankyou to everyone who replied, its appreciated, bit daunting this boat owning lark but cant wait to get out there
Cheers fella's.
Regards, Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts