World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the adventure continues - I have now aquired an old but serviceable VHF set - the guy has just replaced it with DSC? Whats the score with licences - where do I get them and does any one (or their freinds) ;) bother with them. Ultimately I would like everything to be kocha but getting on a course is going to take a day or two.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Vhf courses are administered by the RYA. Once you have done the course they will give you details of the license.

You don't need a VHF license to own or listen to the radio just to transmit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
csx

There are two things you need.

The boat itself needs a licence. These cost £20 per year. They are issued by Ofcom (I'll get you the address if you want it) Each year you pay your money and get a little licence disk for the port side window of your boat. Its very similar to a car tax disk.

Then you need an operators licence. This is a one off exam which is valid for life (at least it was when I did mine but things might have changed) These are typically run at yacht clubs, boat shows and marinas by the RYA (Royal Yacht association)

When I did mine the test wasn't too bad it was mainly to show you knew when to use mayday, and pan pan etc. Most clubs tend to run a one day course with the exam at the end of it.

Best of luck, I hate exams.

Regards
Osprey

·
Registered
961 Posts
its a call to the coastguard, say reporting a problem/seeking assistance, but not a life threatening one as in a may day, which should only be used in emergencies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In case you need it, Ofcoms address is

Radio Licencing Centre
PO Box 885
Bristol
BS99 5ZZ

0870 243 4433

radio.licencing.cent[email protected]

I think you can probably get an application form from a post office.

The good news is there is talk about making these boat licences free (sometime in the future)

Osprey

·
Registered
54 Posts
csx355 said:
So the adventure continues - I have now aquired an old but serviceable VHF set - the guy has just replaced it with DSC? Whats the score with licences - where do I get them and does any one (or their freinds) ;) bother with them. Ultimately I would like everything to be kocha but getting on a course is going to take a day or two.
Hi there csx355,

if your VHF is suitable, I would say look into DSC and consider fitting a 'black box' too. This will add DSC (Digital Selective Calling) functionality to your VHF and will add to it's safety features. Check out CG66 reg. too for added peace of mind.

Before 'the crash' I posted details of a CD- Rom (produced by Lightmaster Software) which is a VHF/DSC Tutor. This will give you the basics for the VHF Radio Operators Licence Exam. (You will still need a licence for the radio itself a bit like a TV licence - but cheaper and better channels :) )

Best wishes to you. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts