World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Jon, you are lucky in Aus if you can get a new PLB for £100 and 10yr battery life. The cheapest PLBs in the UK tend to be around £220 upwards and have a 5/6year battery life stated on the products. I have 2 and have just had 1 serviced / battery replaced which had to be at a designated ACR service centre. So a 10 year cost of £35 per year but its very cheap at the price for being found should it be necessary!
Here they have to registered at Falmouth Coastguard who would co-ordinate any response to a UK beacon regardless of location.
Steve
Wow thats certainly not cheap. I suppose even though we have a small population, we have far more people enjoying the outdoor lifestyle so more demand on these such items. Both my epirb and plb have 10 year battery ( 20 really ).

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
PLB and a water proof phone case, possibly flares. The app called what3words may be useful too, some people rate it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PLB every time... you can be found with better accuracy and a waterproof phone case!
Not heard of a VHF needing frequencies added - generally channels already there

I’m sure VHF are regulated by Ofcom & as previously mentioned forbidden on land

·
Registered
19,588 Posts
You would be better off with a plb (personal locator beacon) they are legal for onshore use, and as they use satellites to locate you they are unlikely to suffer from the blind spots of vhf, and you do need a licence for marine vhf ,you could use cb hand held but again it’s limited range and not monitored by emergency services, better off with plb and mobile phone.
:) I bought a pair of VHF radios about 15 years ago and nobody said about a licence when I bought them. I believe that if they are below a certain power you don't need a licence, but I could be wrong, I often am. ;)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts