World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick post to tell everyone about my victory in the comp i fished on sunday on anglesey breakwater with Menai S.a.c. victory came with a 8lb 9oz conger taken on the inside on a single sandeel.

:) :) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Rubberfrog

Congrats on your win, nice conger by the way

Woodster

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh you people are so kind

thanks guys and gals

:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after some gentle persuading with a mallet.............. no only joking it was a case of in the bucket, lid on and sit tight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on the conger m8! :)

I will be trying to fish for conger tomorrow and was wondering how easy it is to unhook and handle them? :confused:
I know someone who I can borrow a gaff off and I have a long pair of nose pliers for unhooking.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or experience of conger handling and unhooking

Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am no conger expert, but have caught a few, my tip to you would be go with someeone experienced in catching these beasts, they are not that easy to handle and not for the faint hearted, my personal opinion would be leave the gaff at home and find someone experienced to show you the ins and outs. No need to cause them anymore distress than we already do.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi fishy,
Rather than use a gaff,will it be possible to use a drop net where you will be fishing.
That way you can use a t-bar to unhook the eel and then return the fish to the water without the need for gaffing.
It is always best,if it is your first try for conger,to fish with someone who has a bit of experience. Good size conger can do some damage and we dont want you or the fish getting hurt.
All the best bud,

·
Banned
17 Posts
if you dont want to keep the conger, the easiest way to unhook it is by using a t-bar, unless the hook is down deep. if this is the case it is best to cut the line as close to the hook eye as possible, the hook will rot in a few days..

if you have not eaten conger before, get a steak from the fishmongers and try it first.
it's a pitty to take it home and then bin it because it tastes terrible...

as for handling a conger, i keep a pair of rubber and cloth gloves in my tackle box
(the orange ones i knick from work :) ) you can get a good grip on the slimy eels with them.. if you havent got gloves, use some newspaper.

hope this helps.
let us know if you catch :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
numba1 said:
if you have not eaten conger before, get a steak from the fishmongers and try it first.
it's a pitty to take it home and then bin it because it tastes terrible...
I will definitely not be eating it, to be honest I don’t like fish that much.

Everything I catch will be going back. :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Great picture but who's the wimp holding you?

Seriously though must have been a heart thumping time when you hooked that. Bet you didn't think you were going to win anything!! Good for you!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
joe roberts said:
look;s like you were by where i caught my smoothie sat.

was near the end just before the part tha has collapsed, any chance of a pic being posted, a few of the guys i was with was talking about the smoothy.

Swellyman - to right when i hit it, boy did it put up a good show of itself, but once on the surface it went into a an amazimg death roll as i was bringing it across the surface, captured quite an audience. Its not the winning as they say.... who am i kidding.......

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts