World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would you recommend for my first ever mag reel? (it will be second hand i guess) fishing over mud/sand in winter, and usually sand in summer. thanks.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Gotta be a mag-elite m8. Or Okuma Magnetix 20CS.
Mag elites can be had for £50 odd s/h (good nick) Magnetix you can get for maybe just a little more brand new, and theyre good reels, with a 5 year warranty :thumbs:

·
Registered
256 Posts
what would you recommend for my first ever mag reel? (it will be second hand i guess) fishing over mud/sand in winter, and usually sand in summer. thanks.
Give a Penn 525 Mag a go,very versatile reel as its suited to all types of ground over which you might be fishing.

Iv,e got two, bullet proof,just give em a rinse under the warm tap after use and leave to dry on the side of the drainer, will last you years.

Don,t be put off by there reputation, buy some extra magnets which are dirt cheap and apply some red rocket fuel oil to the spool bearings and you have "tamed the beast"..

Good luck with the reel whatever you finally choose

Stampy..

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
depends what your budget is? If you can afford one go for a 525 mag which is great over any type of ground. Or if your purse strings are a bit tighter? get a mag elite, perfectly good reel, just pump and wind if your fishing the rough stuff and dont just try and crank it.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bless you, guys! thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Dont be fooled. For clean ground, mag elite all day long. Only go for the 525 if you expect to fish rough ground (even here I have used mag elite and had little problem). As previous poster suggested, £50 secondhand .....bargain!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
You won`t go far wrong with both the Abu 6500 mag elite or the Penn 525 mag. Good advice from Stampy on slowing down a 525, the xtra model comes with 2 extra magnets in the box which I fitted to mine as it was running waaaay too fast. The abu has the addition of centrifugal brake blocks which are needed if you have a jerky cast, as my casting has become smoother over the years ive dropped from 2 brake blocks to 1 and now ive done away with them just relying on the mags for control. Both are built to a high standard but I`d say the Penn`s are more robust with beefed up gearing & a better drag system than the abu`s, this is reflected in the price though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts