World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just loaded my Van Staal VR50 with
100 yards of 15lb mono backing and 150 yards of 10.2 kg Suffix Pro 8.

It looks slightly bunched up and not tight up to the spool lip.
Hoping this won't cause me any problems but it doesn't look as neat as on my Shim reels.
Maybe it will lay better once I cast and retrieve a 30g metal a few times so it can bed-in properly.

Does anyone else's look like this?

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Banksea, you'll probably find that if anyone does have a problem with line lay, it'll be the same as yours, in as much that there's a drop-off near the lip.

Not everyone has this problem. I think you'll find that Adrian sent his back to have the shims inside changed by Van Staal. If it persists and it bugs you, I believe you can take off your backing and wind it on to compensate for the missing area, so to speak.

A trait that the fellas in the States seem to have is that they take there reels to their local tackle shop and have the backing wound on by machine. Can't say I've ever seen that done here. Don't recall anyone having a setup that is capable of doing it.

Can't show you my line lay as I've just stripped the rubbish braid from it (Daiwa Tournament-hate it).

George

· Banned
2,655 Posts
View attachment 1173519
Hoping this won't cause me any problems but it doesn't look as neat as on my Shim reels.
Maybe it will lay better once I cast and retrieve a 30g metal a few times so it can bed-in properly.

Sorry to say Greig but that looks fubarred. :eeks: But if you'd like to post it to me I'd happily recycle it for you for free...... into my own tackle box :inlove:

· Banned
2,655 Posts
And on a serious note, I've read that some of them come like that out of the factory. It's not necessarily a fault, but just not as good as Shimano's. I don't think there's any user adjustment other than sending it back to the factory (USA) to have them tinker with it. @Bill Portland had a similar issue I believe.

Edited to say that the line lay in your pic isn't totally terrible, and if it were me I'd be inclined to live with it for a month or two to see if it has any impact on your fishing or not.

· Registered
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't be sending it back that's for sure.
It's taken over a year to get my hands on it.
Anyway, rather than wait until I'm on a beach, I've just got home from giving it 40 odd casts across the Cumberland basin on Bristol harbour with a 32g Kilty catcher with no issues at all.

It seems I needn't have worried.
I clamped it on my 9'6" 10-32g Graphite Leader.
The Lure went out a good 80m (my guesstimate). I cast across the widest part of the basin and was only about 20ft shy of the opposite wall.
There was a light cross-wind at times too. Wish I knew the exact span of the basin as this is a good way to gauge casting distances with various lures and set ups.
I'm guessing it's probably 100 yards but will try and find out for sure.

The VS felt as smooth as silk cranking that metal lure as fast as I could.
This is how it looks after the test.

Can't wait to use it for real now.
No apologies for the pun!!:)

· Banned
2,655 Posts
I won't be sending it back that's for sure.
It's taken over a year to get my hands on it.
Anyway, rather than wait until I'm on a beach, I've just got home from giving it 40 odd casts across the Cumberland basin on Bristol harbour with a 32g Kilty catcher with no issues at all.

It seems I needn't have worried.
I clamped it on my 9'6" 10-32g Graphite Leader.
The Lure went out a good 80m (my guesstimate). I cast across the widest part of the basin and was only about 20ft shy of the opposite wall.
There was a light cross-wind at times too. Wish I knew the exact span of the basin as this is a good way to gauge casting distances with various lures and set ups.

The VS felt as smooth as silk cranking that metal lure as fast as I could.
This is how it looks after the test.

View attachment 1173551

Can't wait to use it for real now.
No apologies for the pun!!:)
So you blanked then.... :p

· Banned
1,487 Posts
Wish I knew the exact span of the basin as this is a good way to gauge casting distances with various lures and set ups.
90.64 METERS.

GOOGLE MAPS-right click point you want to measure from then choose measure distance from the pop up menu and click on the point you want to measure to......I have lots of points round here measured to the meter so I know exactly what certain lures can do almost to the meter.

· Registered
309 Posts
Just as well they are made in China otherwise they'd probably cost £650.;)
If not for the infernal sanctions that blight the potential profit margins of shareholders, the ‘’Dear Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un, Chairman of the Workers’ Party of Korea, Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and Supreme Commander of the Korean People’s Army’’ could probably knock one out for a little less, that holds the line to perfection, sprouting flowers and a round of applause each time you cast.

The 25 Yuan (£2.80) per hour min wage in China replaced by a 12 hour ‘hot-bed’ shift elsewhere in exchange for free board and a couple of meals rice and sautéed tree bark, makes perfect sense IMO :BigGrin:

· *BASS LURE GURU*
10,908 Posts
View attachment 1173519

,,,,,F ,,,,,, me ,,, is that reel going to a rave ,,,, ?????????

No wonder you don't catch much ,,,, pink purple burple, cherry , BlackBerry ,,, WTF colour is that shite ....

And your worried about the way it's SITTING on the reel ......

God give me strength ....

1 - 20 of 82 Posts